How Do I Mod an Apex 435 Mic?

OK I unscrewed the bottom and the cylinder part slides out exposing 2 PCBs.
Is it similar to the Apex 180?
I don't see any schematics of the 435 posted anywhere.

What do you hope to achieve? Have you read about some mods or do you have an idea of what you want to get out of it?

Not to be rude but if you're modding for the sake of saying you modded it, there's a good chance you'll end up wishing you'd left it alone. ;)

It is fun to experiment with and dirt cheap. Just trying it out and make some meaningful mods. It is very crisp right now.
I read some people remove the mesh and change the capacitors in the audio path.
Some even replace the transistors and some change the entire circuitry.
What makes this Mic $70 and a Blue Snowball $500 and a Ai87 $3000?

Well, from the pictures on the thread it looks simple enough to trace out. One board looks like the usual Schoeps influenced circuit found in most China mics.

Sound will most likely be capsule-limited. Most of the caps looks like film or tantalum - I don't think you'll notice a big difference if you swap them, but who knows!>

The other board with the two inductors and one transistor must be the DC converter for the capsule polarisation. Don't muck about with that unless you are hard-core.

They all use the same Schoeps circuit.
I would just adjust the bias on the FET and change the ceramic caps to better poly ones.
Why are there so many difference models if they use the same capsule and circuitry?

Cool.
I was looking for pictures there. Shame I couldn't find better ones but this one shows two sets of threads.

apex-435-531005.jpg

I don't know if there are any little grub screws or anything. If not, it kinda looks like the base screws off then the body screws off.

I don't know if there are any little grub screws or anything. If not, it kinda looks like the base screws off then the body screws off.

Yup! That looks just like the MXL 2001 style body, and comes apart exactly like that.

Back