how do i hook up a keyboard...

sKizZel_strata

i'm using a pc based recording system, and i'm thinking of getting a new keyboard(maybe an e-mu mk6). the thing is, since the e-mu doesn't have a burner, and i want it's sounds, how do i hook it up to my pc, so that it's sounds, and not midi, is recorded in the program. i jus need a hookup that would allow me to say...open up cubase, and record a track with the keyboard's sounds and stuff, or any hookup that works. help!!

You need to run the audio out of the keyboard to the audio in of the PC soundcard. Then you need to run the midi out from your soundcard to the midi in of your keyboard. Pretty easy actually.

Turn up the level of the aux input (or line, not sure what it will call it) on the windows mixer and you should hear keys.

I use cakewalk and protools, and its pretty straight forward about switching which midi device you want to use. I am sure cubase has the same ability.

Also, in the ctrl pannel you can go to your sounds and multimedia ctrl pannel and you can set the default midi device.

I think the way most people record keys is to record the performance in midi on their sequencer. Then they play it back, and record the playback as actual audio. This works out great since if you screw up, or want to hear it with a different sound or something, you have the flexability to change it and not lose a good performance.

so what you're sayin is that even if i want the keyboard's sounds, i still can use a midi hookup to do so.
can u explain the hookup?

Sound:
Take audio cable, plug one end into the keyboard output, plug second end into PC / Sound Card AUX input or LINE input (Or, if you have a really shitty soundcard, the eeep... mic input.) You may need to buy the right cables to do that, go to raido shack or something and tell them what kind of connectors you got on the keys and pc.
You probably need a something like a 'Y' cable with 2 1/4 inch phono ins (which plugs into the keyboard outputs), that gets merged to one 1/8 inch stereo out ($3.99 at raido shack).

Midi:
Take midi cable, plug one end into keyboard midi in, plug second end into PC / Soundcard midi out.
If your keyboard dosent have a midi in, buy another one... same deal with your soundcard. Some soundcards require special adapters (like the SB live), they should come with the card.
Might also be possible to run midi through your serial or joystick port, if your soundcard wont do it. I havent had to do that for years, but I do know it will require you to buy a cable / adaptor. You will probably need to buy software or download someting of futz with windows to get it to run.

Windows:
Open the windows mixer (volume control thingy.) Find the slider that controls the volume level of the audio input that you plugged the keyboard into. Raise it and make sure that the little 'mute; checkbox is not checked.

Now if you have a 99$ keyboard and a 19$ soundcard, you probably will not have the features (midi support, audio ins and outs) that you need. As with everything else in theis game... you can do only as much as your wallet lets you.

sKizZel_strata said:
i jus need a hookup that would allow me to say...open up cubase, and record a track with the keyboard's sounds and stuff

You don't need any midi hookup at all for that. Just connect the 1/4" output of your keyboard to the 1/8" line-in port of your soundcard using any instrument cable/patchchord and a 1/8" adapter. That's all.

Back