How do I hook this up?

imalion

Hello everyone. I hope this is the right forum for this question.

As I search through this thread I cant seem to find the answer to what I am looking for.

The Board:

I have a Behringer MX1804X mixing board. The board has 14 channels. It also has a AUX send and a left and right AUX return. Each channel has a seperate AUX control.

In the Rack:

I also have a Behringer Virtualizer Pro FX processer, Behringer AutoCom Pro-XL compressor and a Behringer T1945 Tube Ultrafex unit. All are rackmount units.

My question is "How do I set this all up? Can these rackmount units be daisychained together through the AUX send and returns? Will I be able to use all at once? or will I have to plug in what I need, when I need it?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

imalion said:
Hello everyone. I hope this is the right forum for this question.

As I search through this thread I cant seem to find the answer to what I am looking for.

The Board:

I have a Behringer MX1804X mixing board. The board has 14 channels. It also has a AUX send and a left and right AUX return. Each channel has a seperate AUX control.

In the Rack:

I also have a Behringer Virtualizer Pro FX processer, Behringer AutoCom Pro-XL compressor and a Behringer T1945 Tube Ultrafex unit. All are rackmount units.

My question is "How do I set this all up? Can these rackmount units be daisychained together through the AUX send and returns? Will I be able to use all at once? or will I have to plug in what I need, when I need it?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

All Behringer, I see. Well, to get all the gear to sound good, you're going to have to run it through a decent garbage can first.

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute, I just had to say that.

There are various ways to hook all that up. Does you're board have inserts? If so,..I'd route the Virtualizer to the aux send /return loop,....Put the comp on insert cables and use it as a floater for the inserts,..meaning you can just move it around to whatever channel you want compression on,......The mic pre,..well,...use that on a mic!

Like I said there are other ways,..maybe better ways,...actually you should do some research on patchbays. Especially if you plan on getting more equipment. Patchbays are a little confusing at first but they are well worth the effort to research.

Hope it helps.

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

Calwood,

I wish each channel had inserts. But thats not the case.
I just want to know the standard way to hook this stuff up to a board without individual inserts. I know there is something I am missing. And I am sure its probably simple. What am I overlooking?

Fojar,

You are a newbie with nothing to offer this forum. I wish you wouldnt have wasted you 6th post on me. You are an idiot. And I hope people reply to your future posts with the same helpfullness you showed me here. Dont be a dick to people here. You never know when you might be the one asking for help. Burning bridges at such an early stage in your membership is pretty stupid.

Anyways.......... Can anybody help me with the questions I have?

I hope so.

Steven

I thought the Ultrafex was a mic-pre. Just looked it up and saw it was kind of a mastering/audio sweetening piece. Sorry man,..my bad.
Anyway,...Your original post is written that you only have one aux send. If thats the case then,..sure you can chain all those units together and use them all in your signal chain. What would be the best order,..as far as signal to noise ratio and gain staging,..I'm not sure. But its always fun to experiment!

This is what I would do,...because putting the Ultrafex in the chain doesnt really make alot of sense to me. I would route the Virtualizer to your Aux send/return. Put the compressor in the signal chain only when I need it,..yeah that means plugging and unplugging. I'd put the Ultrafex in line just before your mixdown deck. That means it would be routed to your main outs all the time. Put it in bypass untill your ready to mixdown. Thats what i would do,..cant really see any other options without inserts or patchbays coming into the picture.

Anyway,..someone with more expierience may see something I'm missing.

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

imalion said:
I wish each channel had inserts. But thats not the case.
You've got inserts on channels 1-6, on the "Alt 3-4" bus, and on the main LR bus. These would be the ideal points to patch your units to. Get yourself several of these (click) and you're in business.

Imalion..
You could indeed use them all at once if you so desire....And if you do this, better experiment CAREFULLY with the line up.
If indeed you do have channel inserts <im not sure> then you could use whatever you want wherever you want it and or need itand move it abou accordingly.
I like to rely on compression alot so I would personally use either additional separate compressors or perhaps run the compressor through the aux send return on the whole shabang like someone posted.
Inserts are cool...but if you dont have 2 channel processors then its sort of waste of a whole effect unit <at least in my case till I get more than 6 items in my weak rack.>

And as far you opinionated A$$holes go...whats the point?
Behringer stuff is cheap and works great dude...dont listen to any morons.
Isnt this site called Home Recording?
If so, why bag on someones gear? Its obviously all he can afford as it is for me also....
I just signed up on this site recently and was hoping it wouldnt be like all the other forums I go to w a bunch of people that really just talk shitt and wanna brag about their new lexicon effects that I cant afford yet.
Hopefully most of you arent like that.
Sorry to go off like this.Hope maybe I helped ya Imalion.
peace...Jay Kolarik

First off before you start hooking things up you need to understand what the purpose of each device is and how it works. How you hook it up depends on how your going to use it, and how your going to use it depends on what problem you are trying to solve or what effect you wish to create.

The Composer XL is a compressor. Compressors basicly automatically turn down the level(volume) of a signal(sound). This allows you to keep the average volume up without cliping the amplifiers in each stage of the mixer or cliping your analog to digital converters in your recorder/soundcard. This unit also has a gate which basicly mutes the signal when its below a set level, it basicly reduces the noise added by background noise. You can also create certian effects using compressor. They are almost always inserted on either a channel or subgroup.

I'm not too familier with the other two units. So I'll leave those to someone else.

Back