How do i go by getting my music on a local radio?

i have heard of several ways . . . most include payola in one way or another . . . especially when the radio dj is really an aspiring artist . . . they keep that shit on lock for themselves . . or for someone that can help them get somewhere!!

but there are ways to do it . . . but hell it damm near even costs money to have a "sit down" wit da station manager . . . thats the most effective way though - if the station manager agrees that your shit is to be played - even the most hateful radio dj cant go against that!!!

There is a public radio station in my area that airs a weekly show which plays local-themed music (music by local artists and/or music about the area). Years ago I heard "homegrown" themed (featuring local artists) radio shows on commercial radio (though I don't know if any are currently airing on any station that I can now receive). You could check around for anything like this within maybe a 100 miles of you. This might not be what you had in mind, but it would be a start and it would give your songs more exposure.

Thanks guys.

I just need a manager who could push me further and handle all the busniess stuff. Any ideas on finding one. I read somewhere to call the managers from real known artist.

i tracked down the emails of radio stations, sent them all a message.
out of 40-50 stations 10 responded with info on how to submit to them.
they gave me names of programs directors and address to send my demo.
this were all college or small stations, I didnt waist my time with commercial radio. Theres some nice people out there and its better to give them a call or email then to just send your cd to them. Plus they give you a referal wich might be the difference between the cd player and the trash can.

Focus on a particular radio station and become a loyal listener of theirs for the time being. The goal is to get to know when they will do appearances, shows, etc. which ultimately will attract their crazed fans. THEN you attend each and every one of their appearances and pass out your CD for FREE. The goal here is to tap into the radio stations fan base (who typically appear at such events) and get THEM to hear your CD so they can request it on air. And of course getting your music played on the air means millions of ears will hear it. - From the Artistopia Forums

Last edited:
qb2k5 said:
Thanks guys.

I just need a manager who could push me further and handle all the busniess stuff. Any ideas on finding one. I read somewhere to call the managers from real known artist.

You are YOUR manager. You can do most of the stuff a manager does, in fact you WILL if you wanna get somewhere. I am kinda in the same boat, I want someone to do all the other stuff and I just wanna play. It doesnt work like that. :mad: :D

There's a lot you can do, from myspace and internet PR to sending demos to labels, playing gigs, all that stuff. I licensed one of my tracks to a well known designer from THIS site. Yup, tis true: I had one of my tracks in the mp3 clinic, somebody heard it and contacted me to license it.

Back