How do I go about distrubuting my singles?

DVZON

I know WEA and Quality Music in Canada are big time distributors when it comes to Dance music, and Trance music. I'm sure they distribute for other styles too, but, how do I go about distributing my music? Do I call them up? Is it an easy thing to do? Are the rates EXPENSIVE? Do I have to go with WEA or can I go with small time distributors?

It depends on a lot? Are you signed with a label? They work with the same distibutors?

If you're not signed to a label, you'll gonna find it hard to find a distributor for a stuff, especially when you haven't got lot's of promotion. You'll have to finance commercials towards shops, otherwise they won't buy music from a non signed artist/selfmade label. And if they do, they often have an agreement with the distributor they can send back the largest amount of non old stuff. So if you haven't much prospect of sellinbg big, you need extra promotional help before you can go to a distributor.

they still distribute singles? :) I remember hearing about a push in the States by lables to get stores to carry them... period.

How about Independent Distributors who might just be starting up? I'm sure there are many outhere.

If you are interested, there are independant marketing companies that are able to get you a distribution deal. I have worked with one myself and from what I have seen, there are as many different types of deals as you can think of. For the most part, however, if the distributor believes in the music, it is possible to get them to do the deal for a percentage. This will only work if they really like the material.

On the other hand, you can get them to do the deal if your are willing to finance it to a degree. The advantage is that they already have distribution networks and will piggy back your stuff along with other things they are sending out. In the meantime, you need to get soundscans and press if possible.

One such company, as I have said in other posts, is Monaco Entertainment located in New York City. It is run by a guy named Nate Hinkson. He is a young guy who is quite well connected in the music biz and has recently stepped out on his own. He is ripe for the picking if you think your material is good enough and can compete, this guy can get you a crack at it.

If you are interested in contacting Mr. Hinkson, you can send him mail or material at Monaco Entertainment, LLC, 277 Broadway, Suite 1010, New York, New York 10007. I am not soliciting on his behalf for any other reason other than I think he is truly good at what he does and can really help some young deserving artists. Plus, with the limited experience I have had with him he is truly a nice guy and respects musicians and is very well liked by many people in the music business.

if you're just looking to get your music heard, and comfortable with it getting around without profit (YET), there are tons of people who love getting music out. i'm probably going to be hooking up with an independant record company soon-every little bit counts.

Back