how do I get this sound?

tremblayj

This is a link my second recorded song. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/thewaitersmusic.htm
I use an electrovoice MC200(i found this mic, not sure who it belongs to) into a behringer 802A into a delta 44. This is the second time I have tried to record as I am very new to this.
If you listen to "this love" in the begining there when the guitar is playing there is some sort of feedback that I can hear that sounds pretty cool(to me at least). I wondering how I could get this sound again for future recordings.

Are you using a bit of chorus on the guitar? It doesn't really sound like feedback so much as just the overtones ringing from the guitar through the chorus effect.

If you aren't using chorus then you might be accidentally doubling the track during the mixdown or something.

I am using some chorus on it but if that is it then how come it is only in the beginning. How might I reproduce this type of effect.

I'll listen and tell you what was done, but I do not want to have to sign up for more email...can you post the song (or at least just the intro) somewhere without a login?

Please email me at Bruce@BruceAMiller.us as I am not regularly here.

-Bruce Miller
Gold/Platinum/Grammy Mixer
(visit http://BruceAMiller.us for Recording Tips and Starving Artist Mix Special)

for BruceAMiller, I am pretty sure that all you have to do is click on the link in the music section. choose between low/high fi.

also is that what the sound is, Serendipity. i have never heard of that before. I'll have to do some research.

Bulls Hit said:
And an even harder thing to spell

Ha! Very true.

tremblayj -

By serendipity I mean those magical things that happen out of nowhere by accident either in a performance or something sonically.

For example I was doing a session for a metal band and we wanted a special satanic-like effect. The guitar player's setup wasn't grounded quite right and we picked up a distant radio station of a preacher and then a choir coming in perfectly timed at the intro of the song. We ended up using it, and we couldn't have thought of anything that would have been more appropriate even if we thought about it for weeks.

Maybe someone was trying to tell us something ...

tremblayj said:
If you listen to "this love" in the begining there when the guitar is playing there is some sort of feedback that I can hear that sounds pretty cool(to me at least). I wondering how I could get this sound again for future recordings.

When I listen to this track, I don't hear anything at the beginning that doesn't continue through the song. It's probably just becoming hidden in the mix. Are you listening through home stereo speakers?

I am using some cheap computer speakers for now until I get some more$$$.
would there be a way of getting that sound to put it in certain spots in the song not just through the whole song?

Yes. You can use automation to reduce and increase or turn on and off the chorus. When you listen through a good set of nearfield monitors you will realize that you haven't been hearing what you think you're hearing.

Skip the home stereo speakers.. they're no good for this job. You need monitors. Consider renting a pair. You will learn a lot. I have the benefit of working for a club that has one of the better PA's in Toronto, so after I'm done mixing down on a pair of cheap monitors, I can go listen in a familiar environment that can reproduce most of the tricky parts of the frequency spectrum.

If you know a sound-guy at a big club, ask him to do you a favor and play the CD.

Had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago. Realized after recording a track for a slow, jazzy tune that I had three tings of my neighbor's wind chime right at the start. It was even the same pitch as the starting note. It made the perfect lead-in to the song.

masteringhouse said:
Ha! Very true.

tremblayj -

By serendipity I mean those magical things that happen out of nowhere by accident either in a performance or something sonically.

For example I was doing a session for a metal band and we wanted a special satanic-like effect. The guitar player's setup wasn't grounded quite right and we picked up a distant radio station of a preacher and then a choir coming in perfectly timed at the intro of the song. We ended up using it, and we couldn't have thought of anything that would have been more appropriate even if we thought about it for weeks.

Maybe someone was trying to tell us something ...

Back