How do I get the volume like a “regular” song?

Thank you all so much for your advice, I learned a lot from you all and I will take my time to see what works for me and this current song, and also see what works for future songs. I don't understand all the lingo yet so I have some research to do but I appreciate everyone who took the time to answer my question! Idk if my picture shows up for everyone but I am a woman 😂😂

My apologies... these little avatar pics are hard enough to see, much less with old eyes!

My picture makes me look like I'm 20 years old. Oh wait, I think I was about 20 when that pic was taken! 😲 Funny thing, my daughter wore my shiny blue shirt for 70s throwback day when she was in high school. That was about 20 years ago!

, my daughter wore my shiny blue shirt for 70s throwback day when she was in high school. That was about 20 years ago!
No way! I experienced a similar phenomenon years back. The shiny blue shirt must be something of a cosmic key. My shiny blue shirt was way more shiny than yours. Shiny blue shirts FTW!

Look at this rag. It is like a bicycle reflector mixed with a disco ball. Wait it gets better...black leather pants complete the ensemble.

20220115_080726.jpg

I didn't really look at your picture, but I have now. You are definitely a girl from what I can see ha ha.

Good luck with raising up your track, after a while it is not something you will think too much about.

There are multiple ways, I prefer to use a limiter, it seems some others on here prefer to bounce and normalise? I couldn't imagine in a million years working in this way but maybe I am missing something lol.

Cheers,
j

The thing you're missing is to do with your musical preferences. If you have a piece of music that has the correct (or probably just most appropriate) dynamic range and you're very happy with the mix, then any form of limiting squashes the dynamics - not in the way a compressor does, but when you hit the limiter trigger, then it works to stop the level exceeding your settings. Essential compressing the top section - to whatever you want. Hard limiting where it's simply a prevention of any extra level, or one working a little gentler. All I can say is that when I have very carefully applied compression ONLY to sources, or maybe balanced stereo stems, that needed it, I certainly will not be applying limiting. This requirement has been done better and more musically in a different place. If I want that big thump at the end of the second chorus where the drums, bass and a big guitar come in on that one beat, I will have set the amount of thump. How far it pokes above the remainder. adding a limiter will change. I don't bounce - I simply adjust the maximum level the piece reaches with normalisation which then retains my dynamic, carefully picked. If you want to use a limiter that's an artistic decision - certainly NOT a technical one, because it's basically doing what we complain Spotify, iTunes and Youtube do - alter the piece, and we don't like that.

Using normalisation lets you link a number of pieces together in a musically appropriate way - loud one, quiet one, then final loud one. The quiet one should be quieter, but still stand up when played on it's own. If you do nothing but EDM, for example, you will probably have mixed your music to a common level. Same with rock and metal. However, in these genres there are usually one or two tracks on an album at a lower level. Finding the right one is for ears rather some magic LUFS number.

Yeah, don't crush your song with a limiter! Let it catch just an odd transient or 2 throughout the entire song for full transparancy like I keep saying. If the limiter engages once or twice for a nano second you can hardly call that (squashing the song) lol.

Back