How Do I get the Synths from my keyboard on to my PC

Batman27

I have a casio wk1630.

I have no clue how to get the sounds from my keyboard onto my computer.

I have my keyboard connected through the midi port in my sound card. I have several programs and all it does interpret what i am doing on my keyboard, it doesnt play the sound only, how long, how hard i am pushing it, which note is being played, and it does this through the wav files i have on my computer.

what program, or connection through my PC do i have to use in order to get the sounds from my keyboard.

anybody have the slightest idea what i am speakin on?

MIDI only transmits digital information such as note on, note off, program change, pitch bend and so forth.

To hear and record the audio you need to use the line-outs on your keyboard and hook them up using a Y-cord with an 1/8" stereo plug on the end to the line-in jack on your sound card.

Do not use a speaker out or a headphone out if your KB has those jacks.

damnit, all i have are midi, sustain, and headphone out jacks.

should i sell this thing? Its not too good for me, if i can't record to my computer from it.

I say sell it

I don't recommend any built in speaker keyboards for recording. They're okay for family sing a longs and taking to the beach (which is what I use my PSR for because I don't care if it get's sand in it and it runs on batteries).

Get something without built in speakers that has at least one line out (should really have two for stereo).

You'll be much happier believe me.

Carl

You might try going to RatShack and see if they still sell the attenuator cable to bring the headphone signal down some. I don't know the catalog number. Check the counter catalog when you get there.

Carl is Krakit.

Ratshack is Radio Shack.

To be honest I wouldn't waste your time with any more devices to make it work. Try the headphone jack (start with the volume low) and see how it sounds. It should 'work' but any sounds you get out of that board will be pretty substandard.

If you spend any money put it towards a better keyboard or sound module. You can get some nice used keyboards for under a grand.

could i save this and just use it for my keyboard to make midi recordings on my PC. i doubt i would get the $300 back i paid for it, even have that even though its only a month and half old. got damnit, im mad. i mean, i dont intend on becoming a serious professional or anything, but it is a hobby of mine.

Got milk? Don't need no damnit... If this is already a hobby for you, you better get used to spending a helluva lot more than $300 ! On the bright side... Just get some software to be the "brains" for the keyboard and assuming (Somehow, I know I'm wrong...) you have a midi in on your computer, use your keyboard to control the "soft synth". Casio makes watches, not keyboards...

subtractor said:
Got milk? Don't need no damnit... If this is already a hobby for you, you better get used to spending a helluva lot more than $300 ! On the bright side... Just get some software to be the "brains" for the keyboard and assuming (Somehow, I know I'm wrong...) you have a midi in on your computer, use your keyboard to control the "soft synth". Casio makes watches, not keyboards...

WELL, i am just about to start college in the fall. translation, no money what so ever. i have a job, but most of that will still be invested in school. i have acid music, fruity loops 3, sound forge 4 XP, and cool edit 2.0 somewhere. i keep hearing about cubase and propellerhead reason, should i look into these?

any recommendations on software or hardware i should buy? I just want to compose music, im really not looking to record too much. i have a pretty powerful computer, if that matters.

P.S. casio doesn't even make good watches, i dont know why i assumed their keyboards would be any better.

Dude... Reason2 will keep you busy for a long time! If you have midi in, use your casio as a controller for reason and you will actually be able to make really cool music with just that alone.

Alright, I'm confessing under the influence of Deutche Bier, but here goes.

I have a Casio MIDI keyboard/synth that really does have some great sounds on it. Yeah, some people look down their noses at Casio keyboards for a studio or stage environment, but anyone here around 40 will know that they made a kick-ass synth called the CZ-1 back in the 80's.

Anyway my point is, the better higher priced full featured Casios are not ALL that bad as far as cheap boards go. Actually my CTK-1000 sounds pretty decent through a PA or my monitor system.

It's the crappy speakers on these things that give them a bad name. It really does sound like shit through the on-board speakers.

I would NEVER use ANY Casio for an acoustic piano, I leave that up to the Kurz, but for brass, sound effects, and synth pads, they're not all that bad.

I don't know about the $99.00 speacials though. THose really may sound like crap whether through a PA or the speakers.

So....now ya know. Prosit!:D

Sennheiser said:
Alright, I'm confessing under the influence of Deutche Bier, but here goes.
..... blah blah blah...
So....now ya know. Prosit!:D
you mean gesundheit... :)

... you mean "prost" then.... (german for "cheers") ...
"prosit" and "gesundheit" = same thing

you won't get much reaction out of yelling "prosit" in a german bierstube unless you are in the very northern germany where it means gesundheit... and then they'll probably just stare at you funny...

Mein Bedauern. Ich habe Deutsch in einer langen Zeit nicht sprechen müssen.

Wiesbaden, Frankfurt, 1969, Wieder in 1981.

Wenn ich Deutsch oft nicht spreche, vergesse ich sehr schnell.

Grüß

Back