How do I get Def Leppard Vocals??

tjorenby

Hey guys,

Im a young producer/engineer (senior in highschool to be exact).

A band that im currently recording is really into the 80's sound. They had told me that they wanted the "Mut" treatment to their vocals. I assumed that they were talking about Mut Lang.

Then the Def Leppard sound came to mind.

There background vocals sound really interesting, I cant put my finger on what it is or how to achieve it.

Anyone think they could help or even know what im talking about?

Thanks alot guys!

~Tyler Jorenby
www.mp3.com/adifferentseason

Hire 'mutt' lange as your producer.....guaranteed results or your money back....in reality, theres a huge number of 'layered' vocal tracks there...thats where it starts for that kind of sound

That's the sound of a million tracks of doubling on tape. Good luck getting that sound with a sub-million dollar budget.

Sure, if you use a digital recorder. Try layering as many vocals as you can. Most people will end up with mud but try it. Timing is everything....oh and editing.

awesome, im listening to Def Leppard's Euphoria right now tryin to figure it out.

I have Pro Tools 5.3.1
I have a bunch of rack effects and a compressor, but I dont use them that much because pro tools comes with all the ones that I have needed so far.

It kinda sounds like there's a synthesizer playing the notes that the vocalist is singing and its layered right along with the vocal track it self.

Would duplicating the same track a few times then off setting them by a couple of milliseconds do the trick?

Voxvendor and I are working on a project at the moment, and he is a master at getting that sound on a fairly small budget. Go to voxvendor.com and check out some of his stuff that he did on his own.

Here's the basic gist of it... Lots and lots of layers. Don't copy and paste. The magic is in having different performances, not identical performances. Each layer has to be exactly in tune and exactly in time. When you're totally sick of doing them, keep going and do a few more.

Compress the crap out of each one, and on the final backing vocal mix. EQ to taste - probably boosting the highs and cutting the lows a bit.

That's pretty much it. It's time consuming, but I love the overall effect.

Chris

Hey thanks everyone!

Chris....I listened to "In my Head" and the chorus of that song has exactly what im looking for!

One quick question, I only eq the final track I do of that particular harmony?

Thanks alot
~Tyler

Maybe - maybe not. See if you can get what you want by only EQ'ing the backing vocal mix. If you can't, then try EQ'ing individual tracks. I don't think Voxvendor EQ's the individual tracks, though - just compresses the crap out of them.

Chris

Awesome!

One more question....

I noticed he has the same protools rig I have, I know that there is a limit of 24 tracks (I think)

How would I go about recording so many tracks and having enough room for the rest of the instruments?

Thanks alot man,
~TYler

It's a BIT cumbersome, but it works. By the time you're ready to record backing vocals, you probably have all your bed tracks, rhythms, lead vocals, etc. already recorded. Bounce that down to a single stereo file, and import it into a new project. You now have 22 tracks to fill up with backing vocals. Bounce THOSE down to a single stereo file, and import THAT into.... you get the idea.

That's one of the things I like about Cubase. You can have as many tracks as you want in a single song. If your computer starts to choke, then you can simply bounce them down, but keep it in the same project!

Chris

Back