How do I export volume automation?

moonstation2000

Here's my problem: Say I record 8 drums tracks, then I automate certain parts of each track to cut out noises and get everything sounding the way I like. Then I set up a group track, route the drum tracks to it, and automate the volume of the group track to fit into the mix.

But if I export the tracks with audio mixdown I lose all the automation. If I export as aaf I get the track automation but not the groups.

Is there a way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You want them as stems? Probably the simplest is to freeze the track which will do what you want, or you could export just that audio track rather than a full mix. The latest version will allow you to select tracks individually and selecting all your individual tracks works, or just export the group if you’ve added group processing.

I'm looking to bring my raw tracks into the studio to have them mixed and mastered. If I export using the audio mixdown, none of the automation is exported, just the audio. The group tracks can be selected also, but in the same way, none of the automation is exported with the track.

I'm confused now - if you have recorded the tracks, why can you not just take the project file? I wonder if the studio you are going to does not use Cubase? Is that the issue? EDIT I was certain you could do this with an work around but I have tried it and it doesn't work.
EDIT - I found a very clunky way around it, within cubase. if you link an audio and midi channel together, then you can record the fader automation as volume cc7 messages in a midi track, and then if you load that in, you can then link that to an audio track and the faders go up and down, controlled via the empty MIDI track - but it's horrible?

Last edited:
Yes, the studio does not use Cubase. They're using Studio1.

I have a lot of automation, which would be impossible to recreate from scratch and would waste a lot of studio time trying.

If the automation is mainly level based, can't you just give them the stem with the automation in, and then if it's too quiet or loud at certain points, just automated the changes in Studio 1. You're sort of paying for their speakers and room treatment really.

Here's my problem: Say I record 8 drums tracks, then I automate certain parts of each track to cut out noises and get everything sounding the way I like. Then I set up a group track, route the drum tracks to it, and automate the volume of the group track to fit into the mix.

But if I export the tracks with audio mixdown I lose all the automation. If I export as aaf I get the track automation but not the groups.

Is there a way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks in advance for any help!
found this

Hi,
I just tried this. I switch Cubase to export in Real Time.
It exported all (in my case 3) Group Channels at once. So to export it took the time of the length of the song. Then I got 3 files (for each Group one file). And there was what I expected in the files.

Back