How Do I Bounce Tracks????

liveatthetascam

Hi this may sound really stupid but i have recently given up on computer recording and gone back to my TASCAM PORTASTUDIO 02mkII, 4 track.
I have recorded on 3 of the tracks and want to bounce down to the fourth but have no idea how to do it step-by-step!!!!!
The internet had been no help but i know there is a difference between internal and external bounces.
You guys are my last hope!!!
thanks
J

I don't have the portastudio so I don't know exactly how to arm your tracks(your manual will tell you how) but basically this is what you want to do:

Let's say you have drums on track 1, bass on track 2 and an acoustic guitar on 3. With tracks 1, 2 and 3 on playback, record track 4 adding a distorted guitar. That puts everything onto track 4.

Now go back and record over track 1 with a lead guitar and track 2 with keys. Playback tracks 1 and 2, mute track 4 and record over track 3 while adding whatever, let's say a flute. Now you have drums, bass, acoustic and distorted guitar on track 4 and lead guitar, keys and flute on track 3.

Go back and record a backup vocal on track one. Playback track one, mute track 3 and 4 and record another backup vocal onto track 2. Record your lead vocal onto track 1 while muting tracks 1, 2 and 3. Finally, mix it all down to stereo and master.

This gives you 10 tracks on a 4 track, not bad but hard to do. You need to pay close attention to your volume levels, phasing issues, instrument panning etc. when bouncing because you are basically mixing on the fly and can't undo the bounced tracks once they're recorded. g/l

agreed - manual time ! he's a little latin dude in our studio: "hey man, where's Manuel?"

there should be a "sub" method on it - a way to route the tracks you want to bounce to the track you want to bounce to internally - it isn't too difficult.

'Yamaha MT120'

great machine!!

only thing i may be able to add is try not to bounce on adjacent tracks. the heads are so skinny you get a lot of crosstalk and at times it can get so bad it feeds back. :eek:

if you do go 3 to 4 you may have to go lower in volume than you wanted.

have fun...man i miss my yamaha, my boss 550 and my late teens/early 20s...ok and my malt liquor. :eek:

Pax,
Mike

Back