how do I adjust a preamp and compressor?

Legendary Joe

I got my first preamp and I understand the basics, but I'd like to figure out how to use it better. I got it plugged into my motu 828, played around with it, but it sounds muffled. Can someone explain to me how to adjust it correctly? Should I adjust the compressor first, or the preamp? What steps should I do?

I got the Joe Meek One Q.

I didn't see anything about the preamp. As I said, I understand the basics how what each does, but all this together is pretty confusing with the preamp and compressor on the same unit.

I asked on another board and they said I should adjust the preamp first then the compressor. First, sing into the mic and adjust the preamp gain until it redlines, then back off a little. Second, do the same thing with the compressor gain. Finally, adjust the unit output until it redlines on my recording software, then back off a little.

That zip file is all about compression because compression is what most people have trouble understanding.

As you have correctly said, all there is to using a preamp is to set the level until clipping is heard/metered/detected and then back it down a notch. It gets more complicated with multiple gain stages downstream, but it all works on pretty much the same principle.

To sum up, the preamp is the simple part, and the compressor is the hard part. Start with getting a healthy level into the compressor and follow southside glen's very good tutorial from there.

Back