How Do I Achieve This Affect? (Don't Know the Name of It)

DoorstepMusic

I'm looking to add a affect to my song that I do not know the name or how to achieve. I have my theories (using a lot of compressor or hard limiter), but they are only speculation, as of now I have not tried them. You can see the affect i want in the song With Your Friends (original mix) by Skrillex at 1:15 in the song. I want it to focus around the kick just like this. Any ideas?

yep sidechain compressor on the master bus - linked from the kick, with a really high ratio and really slow 'release'

yep sidechain compressor on the master bus - linked from the kick, with a really high ratio and really slow 'release'

If you put the compressor on the master bus, won't the kick also attenuate itself when it activates the sidechain? I haven't heard the track in question, so maybe that's what's going on, but I'm interested to know if it's the effect used.

If you put the compressor on the master bus, won't the kick also attenuate itself when it activates the sidechain? I haven't heard the track in question, so maybe that's what's going on, but I'm interested to know if it's the effect used.

yes it will - but that's generally how it's done

You can set up different ratios for different synth tracks to offset the timing.

Note: The trigger has to be a wave it can not be a midi kick although the receive can be midi.

Are you sure? I thought the idea was that the mix ducks to let the kick be heard?

Yeah, that's what I thought. If the side chain is on the master, wouldn't it reduce the kick volume as well, so would just reduce volume of the whole track? I don't know anything much about this, but my spidey sense started tingling. But, I guess if the attack isn't instant, the kick could make it though the compressor unscathed?

So I had a better listen to that track OP mentioned, and you guys are of course on the money.
In this instance the synth parts are pumping but the melody parts / kick aren't affected as much - if at all.

Easy to get this effect - put your high ratio / slow release compressor on the synth bus instead.

To me it sounds like everything is pumping a little bit on top of that, which you could easily do it using a similar compressor with compression lower ratio sitting on the master bus.
However, it's tricky to pick out exactly what's dropping and what isn't - could just be synth and bass parts compressed together and not melody.

sorry - I should have engaged ears properly first time round.

Any other ears out there? Does it sound like the melody is pumping too?

Back