How do drums sound ???

Vincent

I'm a French student, and I'm looking for books or websites about the acoustic of drums...
Does anyone know where I can find help about it ?????

check out topics right here, go up and see topics for last 60 or more days...you'll find everything you need to know...here's just one that was posted a while back...

"It sounds like you have everything you need for a good drum sound. Unless you're looking for a "non-standard" kind of thing. You can add all kinds of effects to drums to get some pretty odd sounds (phase, flange, a little delay on the hi-hat has a neat effect). I'm a little curious about the type of mics, though. You'll want to make sure the mic is suited to the task. 57s are always usefull for toms and even snares, but to get that good, fat bass drum sound that causes irregular heart beats, make sure you have an AKG D-112, AT 25, of something that has a low freq. range and can handle high SPLs.
Tuning is very important also, based on the sound you're looking for. Jazz kits have the tendancy to have a more open sound (more ring) whereas rock kits tend to look more for punch than spedific tones. This is just a matter of preference. I would also experiment with the placement of the mics. I like to keep tom mics about 3.5 to 4 inches away from the drum with a slight angle to the player. This seems to allow the kit to sound like one unit, a controlled bleed. If you really like that individual control, keep the mics closer and directed more at the head and think about getting some Beyer TGX-5s for the toms and such: very uni-directional."

There's lots more, just read and you'll find...gibs

Hi gibs...

Thank you for your help. This will permit me to start. I'll try what you said, and I'll tell you...

I have one more question for you: do you know books about Acoustics applied to drums (you know, vibration, that kind of things)?

I hope you can understand me easily: I wasn't a good student when I learned English, so...

Vincent, your English is excellent...I only know about a hundred words in French....and they're either about cooking or profanity....you might try some of the on-line book stores to do a search for acoustics/sound theory (and so on)...a good start might be Barnes and Noble - topics - www.barnesandnoble.com
There are other bookstores on line as well... www.amazon.com is good too...
Drum manufacturers web sites might help as well...there is a how to site as well and it is http://www.cse.ogi.edu/Drum/
good luck...gibs

[This message has been edited by gibs (edited 03-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by gibs (edited 03-18-2000).]

Hi, Gibs...

One more big thank for the few new URL you gave to me....
I'm sure, I'll find what I'm looking for...

I visited amazon yesterday, but links didn't work... So, I'm going to try again today...

I'm going in studio (to post-prod a "documentaire" (I don't know the English term for it...)) on thursday, so I won't be connected for a moment! But I will send you a message in a few days to tell you how hard I worked on my memorial....

One hundred of thanks,
Vincent

Back