How do Canadians pay Americans for purchases across the border?

But Canadians can't purchase US Postal Money Orders, right?
Wrong!
The previous poster straightened it out for you but I'll add to it.
Postal Orders/Money Orders can be purchased in various countries and made out to whichever denomination the buyer chooses. Even US Dollars.
The Canadian money order is made out to the recipient and requires photo ID to redeem the funds.
The purchaser keeps a receipt and in the event that the money order goes missing or ends up being voided for some other reason the purchaser can get his/her money back.

Wrong!
The previous poster straightened it out for you but I'll add to it.
Postal Orders/Money Orders can be purchased in various countries and made out to whichever denomination the buyer chooses. Even US Dollars.
The Canadian money order is made out to the recipient and requires photo ID to redeem the funds.
The purchaser keeps a receipt and in the event that the money order goes missing or ends up being voided for some other reason the purchaser can get his/her money back.

This sounds like a much better deal than what the USPS gives us here in the states Jim.

Wrong! Postal Orders/Money Orders can be purchased in various countries and made out to whichever denomination the buyer chooses. Even US Dollars.
Jim, thanks for this clarification (always count on the Irish, sez I). I much prefer a postal money order to a personal check, but the Canadian vs. US dollar issue makes my head spin. This might just solve the problem :drunk:

I think my standard procedure will be to just deposit all receipts at my local (US) bank. I wonder if that will satsify the Canadian ID requirements. I think yes.

Erin Go Bragh, from your American cousins

If I walk into a post office in Canada today and ask for a $50 money order, the clerk will automatically ask "Canadian or American?" because so busy is the trade between these two countries that the one is as common as the other.
The American dollar right now is sitting below parody with both the Australian & Canadian dollars and shows no sign of improving over the next 12 months so, no sense in holding off with regards to foreign trade.
Regardless; If you check on E-bay, you will find that even Canadians are dealing in American dollars. (it's just easier that way) So no need to worry your pretty little head about exchange rates and such.

Back