How did they get the "Heart is a Drum" (Beck) sound?

SantiB

That guitar sounds so warm and beautiful. Any idea about the recording technique? and mixing? thanks!

he plays a martin d-28. it sounds like a condenser mic on it. probably several mics to get the detail.

the drums sound like they were recorded with minimal mic techniques, probably using 4 mics at a guess, sounds like ribbon mics, it's certainly a dark sound and mellow, could even be recorded to tape, there isn't much high end there. At a guess the acoustic guitar sounds like an sm57, it doesn't have the normal high end sheen. My guess is that the album was recorded to tape and mixed through a console, possibly mastered to tape as well, it sounds very analog, but I could be wrong, they might have just mixed it to sound like tape and it's digital.

This one, I do believe m-s drums with a few Sm7 and a ribbon. Mixed and recorded at Capital and using basement chamber #2 by the sounds of it.

I think they used a sony cg800 on vocals and guitar.

You mean a C800g? I like those things.

Like the Brauner VMA a tad better though... $8-10K range, also like the Blue Bottle, but only if you get the whole cap kit :D

Sounds like there's an upright bass doubling the bass notes of the guitar? And maybe just mic the guitar close and squash it good.

good cheap starting mic for the home studio guys

I guess if you have a six figure income. But yea its more than what my truck is worth. But I definitely would do the blues brothers thing and trade my truck for one of those microphones.

Back