How cheap is cheap?

a modified dog

Does anyone know roughly how much the mark up is for synths and the like? I'm looking to pay around $500 US. Any insider tips would be welcome.:confused:

Looking over my post, it seems a bit unclear. Basically, I'm asking how much you can talk down a price on a low-end synth.

I'd like to trade my Yamaha PSR-540 for a Roland XP-10. I bought the psr at Daddy's Junky Music Store in NH a coupld of years ago, when I had even less of an idea about synths and keyboards than I have now... if that's possible.:o

TIA for your advice,
Denis

Normally, technology items (keydoards, recording gear, etc.) have the lowest margin of any music gear. Why? Because technology changes - the companies have more R&D costs and they try to "set price" more to maintain the perceived value of the gear. Also, the stores don't buy as much quantity (too expensive and too much potential for new and better gear coming out).

It's very common that the margin is only 20%-40%. Given that that a retail operation probably needs about 30% to cover overhead (and make some profit) there would normally be only about 10% to bargain with, and possibly not any bargain room at all. In the $500 range you probably won't have much room to bargain.

miceh,

Thanks for the comprehensive answer to my question. It makes sense... it seems like it's similar to any other technilogy-driven industry.

Update: I fooled with a Roland XP-10 yesterday. For the price, it's pretty cool, but the case and keys were kinda cheesy. Over all, I wouldn't really gain much by trading my PSR-540... more of a trade off, really.

modified dog,

check out the Roland RS-5 if you get the chance. It sounds awesome and there are 5 or 6 assignable knobs for tweaking. I have gotten a price from Musicians Friend for 639.00. I know its more than 500 but its worth it.

John

Back