how can this be made clearer?

gtrboy

sometimes i mix and it comes out great, sometimes it comes out not so great. what can make this mix clearer and kick butt? i am a big fan of the randy staub mixes for nickelback and theory of a dead man. i dont like my snare :( i dont like my overheads :( its my band so maybe im just too picky.

my mix

You'll get more responses if you post this up in the MP3 clinic.

First thing I noticed, is that the mix is fairly devoid of bottom end. How much compression do you have going on the overheads? As for the snare, I would suggest changing the tuning a bit. Going with a lower tuning is a bit more appropriate for this kind of music. It is also a bit high in the mix during the verses, try automating.

The snare just sounds a little "thwonky" is all.

And TuoKaerf was right; you need to tune it differently, and use some subtractive EQ in the midrange (I'm guessing somewheres between 500-1000 hz).

Get a pop filter for your mic, maybe bring the vocals down a little bit, but you're 90% of the way there in my opinion, actually a really good mix. Are those live drums or samples?

Oh, and yeah the snare is just a little thick, maybe take a bit out around 200-250 Hz or even as high as 700-800 Hz. Something's just a hair too thick in there.

The snare is bit "big", so I would follow Yareek's advice and highpass it around 250Hz. Another thing that seems a bit odd for me is the singing... It could go up atleast 4db in my opinion...?

/Chip

Back