How can I use my analog 10-band equalizer in my studio?

dethride

I have a nice old analog Pioneer 9500 graphic equalizer that I would like to use to my advantage. My TASCAM 106 mixer has only two EQ knobs and I've been reading a lot about EQing and would love to have parametric capabilities. I would like to know if incorporating the Pioneer into the fray would be worth my time and effort.

Can it be used in the signal chain as an INSERT, between one point and another, or for a replacement or addition to my mixer's EQ? (please excuse my ignorance, I'm cross-eyed from researchin' and just want a little human response)

It looks cool, anyway.

I have a nice old analog Pioneer 9500 graphic equalizer that I would like to use to my advantage. My TASCAM 106 mixer has only two EQ knobs and I've been reading a lot about EQing and would love to have parametric capabilities. I would like to know if incorporating the Pioneer into the fray would be worth my time and effort.

Can it be used in the signal chain as an INSERT, between one point and another, or for a replacement or addition to my mixer's EQ? (please excuse my ignorance, I'm cross-eyed from researchin' and just want a little human response)

It looks cool, anyway.

The Pioneer 9500 is not a parametric EQ which you said you would like, but instead a fixed-band, fixed with equalizer. A fancy, quality unit for sure.

Here's the manual to your console if you don't have it:

http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/mdownloads/d438fadb-354f-4f8b-bc92-ce9ce541ae4f.pdf

The inserts are not balanced and also rated at -10db just like this EQ of yours so you can splice the EQ into your inserts no problem.

Another spot for it would be to put it between your console and your monitor amps (or the monitors themselves if they're integrated) because it will allow you to adjust somewhat for lack of monitor flatness in reproduction and possibly room quirks.

Another spot for it would be to put it between your console and your monitor amps (or the monitors themselves if they're integrated) because it will allow you to adjust somewhat for lack of monitor flatness in reproduction and possibly room quirks.

Bad idea. It can be done but it only trades one problem for another.

Use the eq on program not the room.

Thanks, this will get me started with some more learning until I can upgrade to better equipment... if that day ever comes.

Yes, I realize it's not parametric, but the way I wrote it suggested that. And thanks for the technical description of what it is - "fixed band..." etc. I'm learning stuff about this every day.

You might consider creating a "patch bay" where you can easy swap around cabling routes. Also, if you get more cool equipment, you can just add it in. This way, you could use it coming out of a line level guitar, going "in" to be recorded. You could use it on an effects send (or return) and tailor the sound better, or even use it for non-conventional EQing in some areas.

Keep your eye on Ebay, as a lot of old, cool stuff can be had for pennies nowadays.

One suggestion... think THAT that day is now... and not that it will come someday. You only get what you believe in.

BTW, I've got an old Tapco graphic that might get me $25 on Ebay, but I won't sell it. I'd like the matching reverb too!

Why? I have a 31 band graphic eq for my PA, and the only thing I ever do with it is adjust for the room. Especially if your studio room isn't good, you'll have monitoring problems, not program problems.. ?? You dont wanna crank up the bass in the program cuz your room cancels, then take it anywhere else and have it all boomy...

If the room is "way off" then yes, it's a bad idea however if the room is reasonably okay acoustically, minor graphic EQ tweaks can help flatten out the sound in the listening position. Of course one needs a reference micrphone and a white noise generator, but that's another story.

I have a Ross digital EQ with 32 bands a channel, and I have mine between the console and the amps for the front (stereo) monitors and I was able to get things fairly flat at 85db. Higher or lower than that things drift a bit.

I think there have been A LOT of top end studios that had EQ in the monitor chain.

Also, explain to me why many monitors have adjustments on them...from Mackie to JBL, etc. to really high end stuff.

Most permanent installs in halls, churches, etc that are way past the "Peavey" stage will have EQ inline also.

However, I think the "fear" is getting some frequency/time smearing, if that explains anything and that the EQ would do more harm than good...and that a quality EQ should be used versus some Alesis unit or comparable.

Personally, I'm from the camp of "whatever works."

Using EQ in the monitoring chain can help, but it's not guaranteed, and can sometimes cause a dodgy situation.

When you see a studio using it, it's likely under any combo of three conditions; when they've already used physical room treatment to smooth the physical room response as much as possible, when they are using either a half- or a full-octave EQ (i.e. at least 31 bands) to address a curve they have measured with calibrated equipment, or when they want extra eye candy in their CR. (half joking on that last one ;) )

If you're having room issues with heavy bass modality - i.e. bass peaks and nulls undulating all over the room - which is probably the most common issue with room acoustics - EQ is often not going to help you, and when it does it's likely to help when you head is positioned here, but not when it's positioned there. Additionally, if your HF problems are due to bad first reflections, EQ is often not going to help.

EQ in the monitor can can sometimes help to tailor the monitor to one's preferences, but cannot be expected to fix major problems with the room. EQ controls on the monitor serve two purposes; to tailor the monitor as described, and - as often as not - to sell monitors.

G.

Back