How Can I Use Antares Autotune ???

Not exactly sure what you are asking....

Some questions...

Are you currently using anything (software) to record on your computer right now?

What do you want to use Autotune on?

Have you already bought Autotune or are you looking to buy?

If you haven't bought it yet, I'd suggest considering alternatives. AutoTune went to iLok authentication a while back. You can authenticate once with software, but if you ever swap motherboards, you then have to use one of those awful hardware dongles. The PACE anti-piracy software also often brings stability problems (my DAW was rock solid until I installed AutoTune...).

I've now switched to Melodyne. It's much more powerful, and the new version they have coming out in a couple of months (IIRC, free upgrade for new buyers, but don't quote me on that) can even do pitch correction on polyphonic stuff! :D

I found a free pitch correction tool...

Its called MadShifta, its available for VST hosts, and also a mac "Mac OSX Audio Unit Version "

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=2

If none of that makes sense to you, a quick explanation would be that the madshifta program is a "plugin" for other programs. Pretty much what it sounds like. It plugs into another program, and cant do its thing on its own.

So, you have to use one of those programs to use madshifta. Not to worry though. If you dont have one, and are just getting started. There are options. Start by googling something really simple and free...I would suggest audacity, as training wheels. You will outgrow it quickly, but then again, maybe thats all you need. Audacity can be made to accept VST plugins. No need to spend $$$.

Beware, however, if you are totally just getting started with all of this, you are going down the rabbit hole here....Theres a TON of shit to learn, but your ability to capture and to manipulate sound will grow with each thing you learn.

Theres so much (legally) free and quality cheap stuff available, you will feel like you have superpowers for very little money.

I stand corrected.

It will get the job done for free, though, it seems, if you "ride the fader" as it were. (i.e. if you are only selectively fixing bad spots...)

I haven't tried it, so YMMV, but its worth a shot.

If there was a freeware pitch *Correcter* I would be interested in at least having that option in the tool belt, although, of course, I would prefer to have the track recorded right in the first place....

It will get the job done for free, though, it seems, if you "ride the fader" as it were. (i.e. if you are only selectively fixing bad spots...)
This is the way they used to do it in the old days before computers. Of course you need a really good ear to know how many cents out the vocal is. You end up guessing, trying it, and then trying again.

It's only a viable option when the vocal is great except for one note is a little flat. Any performance that needs auto-tune would be too far gone for that method.

yeah, good point.

I was assuming that hotsauce probably didn't know if it *Needed* autotune per se, judging by the question being pretty much a newb question. I should have asked if it was the whole vocal or just spot correction that was needed.

Although, seeing that hotsauce hasn't replied in a week, it looks like its acedemic anyway. I think it may have been more than he/she was expecting, complexity wise.

Its probably for the best, anyway.

Autotune/pitch correction are great things, but I think they are over used. It seems so easy to do one take of the vocals, then spend 9 hours tweaking pitches, when in reality, spending 9 hours working on the vocal take itself, over the course of a week or whatever, usually results in a better track.

of course, thats just my opinion.

Reaper comes with one (ReaTune). I guess that's not technically free because you still ought to pay for Reaper, but $50 to get to use the plugin vs. I-don't-even-know-how-much for AutoTune is a damn good deal in my book. It works pretty well, though I've only experimented with it once.

Reaper comes with one (ReaTune). I guess that's not technically free because you still ought to pay for Reaper, but $50 to get to use the plugin vs. I-don't-even-know-how-much for AutoTune is a damn good deal in my book. It works pretty well, though I've only experimented with it once.
I use Reaper, and Auto-tune leaves far more artifacts than Rea-Tune does. I have used both because I am a really bad, pitchy singer.

As far as using autotune, if haven't bought it, don't. If you bought it and don't have any software to record with, it's pretty much useless. It doesn't work on it's own. You have to plug it in to your software to use it.

Cheese, I didn't know that!

Based on that little nugget, and the other plugs reaper comes with, AND the VST/DX wrapper it comes with, I am thinking I may actually shell out the 50 bucks for reaper and use it as a secondary app to do some treatments, and who knows? Maybe I will get good enough with it to use it as my primary recording app.

But, hell, for $50, I can get something to be able to use all of those free vst plugs out there if I want, and still not have to pay the bigger $$$ to upgrade from Sonar 2 to 6 or above.

Thanks man!

Back