How can I set up panning on my drum tracks?

MightyPOOsticK

Ok I have

mackie 1202 vlz-pro->delta 66->computer software (cool edit pro)

Now on my Delta 66 it only has 4 inputs. And I plan on using 5 mics on my kit (1 overhead, 1 hi tom, 1 low tom, 1 snare, 1 bass)

The problem is since the delta only has 4 inputs I cant seperate the tracks in cool edit pro....so therefore I have to use the main outs on my mixer.

I wanted to be able to set up panning for the drums where I could have the hi tom on the left a little and the low tom on the right a little. If I set the panning up thru the mixer and go from the main outs (both left and right) to the delta 66 will the panning still be correct? Meaning will my hi tom be on the left and the low tom be on the right? Or will it not take the panning into the Delta 66 and into CEP?

Thanks for the help!

When you playback those two tracks just pan them hard left and right and you will retain the same stereo image.

I would just use two overheads, kick and snare and put them all on their own tracks. That will be the most flexible way of doing it. Unless you really know what you're doing you won't gain much with the tom mics and they'll probably just give you a lot of phase problems.

The thing is with the two overheads I get way too much hi hat noise.... especially with 2 condensors....is there anything I can do to stop it? SM57 as an overhead didnt work well at all....

If the hat is too loud in the OH then moving it wont help much. Tell the drummer to stop beating it so hard or get a hat that isn't quite so loud. There are some tricks using tape and wet towels and all sorts of stuff to deaden the hat a bit. You might get some decent advice in the drum forum. But drummer technique is the first place to fix it.

If you are recording in a small and very live sounding room than that will also accentuate the hat and snare. Deaden the room a bit.

Back