How Can I Make Money!

buddyC

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting my tracks used as backgroung music for local radio spots and commercials? What are people usually willing to pay for :30 spots? I make some pretty decent tracks with my one workstation, certainly better than alot of the tracks I hear backing most local radio and television commercials. I don't have a good recording system, though. Do most stations require you to present them with a high quality studio recording on cd or dat that you pay for or do they usually have a system that you record on? The sound and quality of most local spots sounds as if they were recorded at home on a cassette 4-track. BUT THEY STILL GET PLAY AND SOMEONE GETS PAYED! Iwant that someone to be me. Can anyone give me a plan as to how to go about this and tell me about their experiences?

A lot of stations do their own production in-house. Call the station and find out if they ever use freelancers. You could also call local ad agencies and pitch to them. I thought of doing that myself, but I've known a lot of radio people, and don't want anything to do with them. They're creeeepy!
Good luck!

Bob

Hi.
I've done this on a few occasions. Yeah, basically call the maketing director or the progran director at the station and tell him what you're about. Let him know that you offer production buyout music and that you would like to send him a sample CD of your work. I would highly recommend that you try contacting some video production houses in your area as well. They are ALWAYS looking for music. Ask for the general/operations manager. Even if they aren't interested at first ,still send them the CD and then give them a follow up call 3 - 4 weeks later. It's a lot of work, but it will pan out eventually.

Good luck,
ThreeDogg

PS: Read the post here about Taxi as it has useful info, as well.

Back