How can I improve this tiny space?

ultrasound

Hi. I just moved to a new flat and this the only place I have to set up my computer. Because it's sort of a corner it's a terrible place to put the monitors. You can see I made some acoustic treatment panels from some Rockwool RW3 but it still doesn't sound very good. Also my speaker stands are polystyrene from the box they came in.

I am studying sound production and college and it will help me a lot if my mixing space is as good as can be.

Do you have any suggestions for me to help make this little corner sound acceptable?

DeskAberdeen.jpg

Close the curtains (that won't help much, but it helps. At least you're facing the window :)
Hang a cloud directly above the chair (listening position). Even a 2" x 2x4' will greatly reduce the problem freqs.
Put some 4" directly behind you. That'll be a great start.

Although this might be one of the worst setups I've ever seen, it is what so many people have to work with. (I'm not criticizing you. The space is what you have and it just isn't conducive to good mixing.) I agree about closing the curtains; the cloud I think should be at least 4" if you can do that. 2" just doesn't do a lot for the low frequencies For high ones and for standing waves even cloth is better than nothing. And putting the rock wool behind you will help but you're beginning to get into some money. You can get a package of 3" for about $50 bucks though and doubling it would help a lot. Make sure you aren't creating a fire hazard. I would add that you should get a good set of headphones suitable for checking mixes. Here's a link that might help. (In situations like this including on the road set ups, headphones can save you a lot of heartache.) The 7 Best Open Back Headphones for Mixing
Rod Norman
Engineer

I mixed my uni submissions in worse!
In addition to the advice above, keep the volume low and your speakers close. I know this creates its own problems, but it's better than letting room reflections contribute more than they have to.

Opening the window would make a great bass trap. If they are single pane windows it still makes a good bass trap. Make sure the monitors are at ear level they seem a bit low in the photo.

I too have seen much worse then this over the years.
Alan.

I pretty much agree with all of the above. But, honestly, you are better off spending money on a very good set of headphones or professional ear-buds. I have used the Sennheiser HD 570s for years.. I don't think they make them anymore...
Note: playing speakers at lower levels will NOT change the resonant character of the room, however, moving CLOSER to the speakers (near-field) is advised if you wish to monitor with speakers in that room.

Cheers,
John

Hey Dobro, why did you waste your time with those unhelpful statements?

I have in fact made some improvements suggested the by others. I have moved around the acoustic panels so there is one behind the speakers, one behind my chair, by raising the speakers and I am going to hang a cloud from the ceiling.

You haven't posted a picture of the rest of the room, but from the picture you did post, it's obvious you're trying to mix in a space not much bigger than the tiny desk you crammed into the alcove. It's ridiculous. You shouldn't be wasting your time trying to improve that space. You should be spending your time finding a better space.

You call my comments 'unhelpful'. I call your attempts to improve a space the size of a vocal recording booth deluded. Be deluded, then. The advice I've given you is the best advice you've received in this thread. The next best advice you've received is to stop trying to improve a space that can't be improved and buy some headphones and mix on those. The dumbest advice you received was to open the window as a bass trap. (Nothing like listening to traffic noise during a mix to help you make critical low-end decisions.)

You're welcome.

You can't.

I've got a suggestion, but not the one you're looking for: Move out. Leave it behind. Stop peeing into the breeze.

How very blatant! :D
Though true, you have to deal with what you have. If you have to shovel manure out of cattle trailers in 110 degree heat, you look for ways to make it tolerable. Not give up trying. Yeah, looking for a new job is probably a good answer, but until you find it..."if a man don't work, a man don't eat."
Same with his problem. College is a tough time to be looking around for houses with nice spaces for a great recording environment. To get through this period in his life, he's got to get the job done with what he's got (which is metaphorically a pile of cow poop), but it's what he's got.
Ultrasound. Get through college. JHBrant is top-notch (what he says is usually on the money) so pop $100 for some Sennheiser Pro280s and see what happens. THEN get a place with a better space. (Unless one falls into your lap while you're there) :D

Hi. I just moved to a new flat and this the only place I have to set up my computer. Because it's sort of a corner it's a terrible place to put the monitors. You can see I made some acoustic treatment panels from some Rockwool RW3 but it still doesn't sound very good. Also my speaker stands are polystyrene from the box they came in.

I am studying sound production and college and it will help me a lot if my mixing space is as good as can be.

Do you have any suggestions for me to help make this little corner sound acceptable?

View attachment 89555

I think the suggestion of start using Headphones more would help, and maybe some software that could get you in the ballpark might help. One of those analyzing softwares offering a visual. You have to deal with the cards your played like the room.

I have heard crap recording from huge expensive studios too, so theres more to it than buying crap-gear with name brand logo lust addiction, and having money and no talent.

Motown wasnt real fancy and they did alright.

"start small, dream big" some say...

I think the suggestion of start using Headphones more would help, and maybe some software that could get you in the ballpark might help. One of those analyzing softwares offering a visual. You have to deal with the cards your played like the room.

I have heard crap recording from huge expensive studios too, so theres more to it than buying crap-gear with name brand logo lust addiction, and having money and no talent.

Motown wasnt real fancy and they did alright.

"start small, dream big" some say...

I could NOT agree more. :thumbs up:

However, there is no software program that can room anomalies universally. You might want to buy a head-vice for the head-rest of your chair if you go this route, because if you move position relative to the speakers and room boundaries, EVERYTHING changes.

Cheers,
John

Back