How Can I Improve This Mix?

I'm a big believer in using references when mixing. For your song I'd probably use something like a J. Cole track. Listen critically to the reference track to tune your ear to what a good commercial song should sound like (I also use a spectrum analyzer, voxengo span is good and free) then listen to your mix and it should be pretty clear where you need to make adjustments.

Personally, I always mix the instruments first and then mix the vocals in.

Hope this helps.

I'm leaning toward this version. Love to hear feedback, and appreciate all I've received thus far. This has always been a helpful community. :)

Attachments

• songsandsevenblundersalternativemix3-EQ-Zebra3_mdbmastered_Medium.mp3
    8.1 MB
I'm leaning toward this version. Love to hear feedback, and appreciate all I've received thus far. This has always been a helpful community. :)

I forgot to say, it sounds a bit dry and could do with a bit of reverb (not too much).

I only remembered because I was talking to someone else here about reverb but I think it will help.

Great vibe on this and great voice. I think it would benefit from having that lead synth pulled back a touch or even cutting for brief sections to create some contrast. Really nice job though

Mark

Great vibe on this and great voice. I think it would benefit from having that lead synth pulled back a touch or even cutting for brief sections to create some contrast. Really nice job though

Mark
Appreciate it! I'll take a listen again in a few days. Gotta give this one a breather lol.

Back