how can I improve my metal rhythm track?

bball_1523

I recorded a rough take of the rhythm part to a metal song I am writing. I noticed it sounded very raw and boxy, as well as bassy. I tried to EQ it, but with my tiny knowledge in EQ'ing and mixing, I seriously suck at making this rhythm stand out. I want my rhythm to sound more punchy and clearer that the muddiness that it represents.

I was wondering what steps I can do to tweak my sound and get it to sound right in the mix once I add drums, bass, and keyboards?

here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=396837&songID=4104929

I can't listen to the clip because my dial up at work it so slow but if you're trying to get it to sound "right" when it's not even in a mix then you may be really disappointed when you finally get it right and it doesn't work with the mix. When I was a newb I'd always try to make the individual instruments sound great by themselves. I was basically just working against myself when I did that. I finally learned a then everything had to sound right as a whole. You'd actually be very surprised at how bad some guitar sounds would be when they're solo'd compared to in a mix. A good way to learn eq is just to sweep thru the frequencies and find what you think may sound good. I honestly do more cutting than boosting especially in the low end. Guitars are a pain in the ass but once you figure them out you'll laugh at yourself.

jonnyc said:
I can't listen to the clip because my dial up at work it so slow but if you're trying to get it to sound "right" when it's not even in a mix then you may be really disappointed when you finally get it right and it doesn't work with the mix. When I was a newb I'd always try to make the individual instruments sound great by themselves. I was basically just working against myself when I did that. I finally learned a then everything had to sound right as a whole. You'd actually be very surprised at how bad some guitar sounds would be when they're solo'd compared to in a mix. A good way to learn eq is just to sweep thru the frequencies and find what you think may sound good. I honestly do more cutting than boosting especially in the low end. Guitars are a pain in the ass but once you figure them out you'll laugh at yourself.

how do I sweep throough the frequencies?

oh and my recording what recorded direct.

bball_1523 said:
how do I sweep throough the frequencies?

oh and my recording what recorded direct.

How do you record your music? As in do you use a daw, standalone, mixer into soundcard? You mentioned eqing, what kind of eq do you use? Also if you're saying you record your guitars direct then that could lead to a less than desirable sound.

jonnyc said:
How do you record your music? As in do you use a daw, standalone, mixer into soundcard? You mentioned eqing, what kind of eq do you use? Also if you're saying you record your guitars direct then that could lead to a less than desirable sound.

I have a boss gt-8 and connect that straight through an M-audio firewire solo soundcard, and use Cubase SX 3 to record my tracks.

I think my tone is crap to start out with, that's probably why it sounds like garbage.

here is different tone I used:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=396837&songID=4112412

I have a horrible time separates tracks. I can't seem to double track my rhythms correctly. Any advice?

I'd really need to hear it in a mix to tell you how it sounds. I mean to me it sounds pretty ok like that, but in a mix I'm not so sure.

Back