How can i copy old vinyl to cd?

saxman61

I have an extensive collection of old records (33's) and would like to burn them to cd's but don't know how to get started. I have a GAteway pc with windows kp, big hard drive and 900 mhz pentium. Any help will be appreciated.

I have home studio 9 as the only only music program unless cd copying sotware works. I haven't tried yet but I just doubt taht hooking up my steroeo system to the audio in jack will result in a digital file that can be buned to a cd. Help please!!!

Sound is sound is sound.

Turntable->preamp->line-in on soundcard / record with Studio or whatever to .wav files, cleanup with an audio editor, master and then burn the wav's to CD.

As with anything else, the results you get will depend on the time and expertise you put into it. Try one of two songs (don't try to record a whole side at once) and see if you want to go the distance with your whole collection.

I've done this several times (5 down, 80 to go!) and like he said, if you can pump it into the line-in port, you can record it. Despite my presence on this board, I know nothing about home recording software and just used "wavestudio" which I think came with my soundblaster 5.1 Platinum. Be aware that editing wav files of this length can take awhile, but maybe that's just my slow-ass harddrive?

Also there's a variety of software available for removing pops and clicks and hiss, etc., but being the purist that I am, I only remove the few loud pops that are distracting to the music.

goodluck!

Yo 61 Saxes and no Trombones:

I do a great deal of "re-mastering" on my Yamaha 2816, using old cuts from cassette decks recorders, like the 488 and also the Md8. The transformation is great.

I've done vinyl re-mastering with good results.

If you know anyone who has digital recorder, or if you have one, you can re-master your old wax tunes and have really good results.

If you want more information, post me via the E-mail outlet.

Green Hornet
:D :D :p :p :p

One thing.....you can't just plug the turntable into your audio in jack.......it has to go thru a phono pre-amp first. Other than that, as Tim said, sound is sound. Once it runs thru a phono pre then you can treat it like any other sound. The pre-amp is neccessary to give RIAA equalization to the LP.

Back