How can I change a mic in to a line in on my laptop?

Gavin

My laptop only has mic in but I need a line in cause I'm using a mixer and running my guitar and mic through it.

Does anyone know a way to convert a mic in to a line in or do I have to buy another sound card?

I don't want to buy another sound card cause I'm getting a digital 8 track in a month or so. I just want to record some acoustic stuff for now.

Hi, I don't know if this helps...but I'll give it a try. You can input all your instruments into your mixer, and then run a 1/4" cable from the mixer out. Next, you can buy a 1/4" to 1/8" converter from Radio Shack, and plug that onto the end of the cable running from the mixer. Finally, plug the now 1/8" end into the line in of you computer, and then you'll be ready to record. I hope this helps.

steve15 said:
Hi, I don't know if this helps...but I'll give it a try. You can input all your instruments into your mixer, and then run a 1/4" cable from the mixer out. Next, you can buy a 1/4" to 1/8" converter from Radio Shack, and plug that onto the end of the cable running from the mixer. Finally, plug the now 1/8" end into the line in of you computer, and then you'll be ready to record. I hope this helps.

Thanks. The problem is that the signal going into the mic input is hot and the mic input on my laptop is hot so the signal is unbalanced or something like that. That's what I was told. And it's hard to monitor cause the levels on the mixer have to be lowered so much. Also when I record this way the signal comes out vibrato like. Weird. But I was told I need a line in and not a mic in.

Yeah, I don't really know what to tell you, but you could pick up a Soundblaster Live! card, ($50), and that has a line-in, and does a very good job at making quailty recordings. I hope this helps.

steve15 said:
Yeah, I don't really know what to tell you, but you could pick up a Soundblaster Live! card, ($50), and that has a line-in, and does a very good job at making quailty recordings. I hope this helps.

if they make usb soundcards then I might get one. I don't want anyone over here opening up my laptop cause there are no qualified laptop techs over here.

Yeah, I don't think they make a usb soundcard. You could also buy a usb audio interface that would allow 2 track recording at very high quality.

I believe that will work. It won't need to run with your soundcard, it will most likely just plug into an available usb port. I have heard very good things about those interfaces. You'll just need a recording program, check out the Cakewalk programs. Good Luck.

steve15 said:
I believe that will work. It won't need to run with your soundcard, it will most likely just plug into an available usb port. I have heard very good things about those interfaces. You'll just need a recording program, check out the Cakewalk programs. Good Luck.

Thanks. I checked with friend of mine and he said with a laptop you can only have what comes with it.

It does connect via USB so I guess it will work. Oh and it comes with multi tracking software. I think I'll get it. It only costs $150. :)

Do yourself a favour and stay away from the Duo.
I have yet to hear that someone manages to use it the way it was intended to be used.
I just use it as an external A/D converter that plugs into my SB-Live's SPDIF in.

Before you buy anything, I have read that the Mic Ins for some of those basic sound chips are switchable to line level -- something probably bypasses the preamp circuit. You should be able to find that out in the spoecs for the chip from the manufacturer's website.

Ther are also some really inexpensive basic USB audio interfaces that are well less than the $100... the M-Audio Transit is one...

Maybe you've already checked, but my notebook had a mic in with an adjustable gain control. Double click on the little speaker on your toolbar at the bottom. (the one that brings up all the volume controls). Then click OPTIONS, then PROPERTIES, and then under "Adjust volume for" click RECORDING. There then should be a "mic" volume that you can lower to adjust the incoming signal.

That is, assuming that your soundcard allows this...give it a try...

Back