How Can Compression Help The Mix?

Zachyboy4

Yes, will compressing raise the quality of my tracks? (knowing i use only software tracks on logic) and then end up making my song easier to mix? or am i completely missing what compression actually is?

It depends on what your tracks need. Compression is a tool and if you use it right and it's needed, then yes it can improve your tracks. What do you think compression actually is?

The best thing to do is try one and see. Experiment with different settings and see what they do.

Head here and click on the "Compression Uncompressed" logo for an on-line booklet that explains in words and pretty pictures everything the beginner needs to know about compression.

G.

The really expensive compressors are the best. That's why radio songs sound so good. What's your budget?

just an aside, i've been on the forum before with another name 8 years ago (forgot the name so i started over), but i remember glen and his advice was always helpful.

Oh, and I like the new picture. I'm more of a steelers fan, but the bears are my second.

Yes, will compressing raise the quality of my tracks? (knowing i use only software tracks on logic) and then end up making my song easier to mix? or am i completely missing what compression actually is?

Better to ask what it is for than to just use it because you think you should. :)

Don't look at it like something that will raise the quality of your tracks. You can use it to solve problems, but compression can cause other ones. The dynamic range of any given track is the difference between the lowest and highest volume of that track. When you mix tracks together, the dynamic ranges weave in and out relative to each other. You can have a vocal that is usually just right, but sometimes jumps out. Or a bass track where a few notes jump out too loud here and there. Compression can limit the dynamic range of a track so things don't jump out like that, without having to turn the whole track down and not hear it as loud as it should be, or make EQ adjustments you would rather not have to make. It brings the peaks down. By adjusting the attack and release controls, you can aslo use it for effects - like making a bass more punchy. You can also use it on the entire mix.

Compression can also cause distortion, remove depth, cause pumping and breathing artifacts, bring up background noise, guitar finger noise, bass drum pedal squeaks...you name it. Everything is a compromise. Just keep using your ears. The more hours/months/years you work at it, the more you will get it.

Yes compression can even out the dynamics of parts of your mix. You want to learn to identify what compression sounds like, however.
Put a compressor on one of your individual parts. Raise the ratio to at least 4:1 if not more, and then start adjusting the threshold control. Listen very carefully as the threshold is lowered, and the compressor starts to act upon the audio you are feeding it. Things will start to seem quiter, generally, as the amount of compression is increased.

Attack time adjusts how fast the compressor reacts to the start of a signal. Release time adjusts how long it takes the compressor to let go, after the input signal stops. Adjust both of these and again, listen to how things change.

Usually, you don't want the compression itself to be noticeable. that is, you don't want to be listening and think to yourself "wow, I can really hear the compressor clamping down on that signal". Unless you are after a special effect, compression, like EQ and every other tool we have, is best used in moderation! A little goes a long way.

Generally, with things set aggressively, lower the threshold until you are definitely getting some compression on your material, then, once you have attack and release set to taste, back the ratio off.

Hope that helps some. just about any book on mixing will have a chapter or several chapters on compression.

Compression and limiting are basically constricting the dynamic range (loudness and softness...) of an audio wave form. What this does to your mix is to hold it together more and to make all the parts have a more audible level. It won't really improve the "quality" of your mix, but it will make your mix "punchier" and keep things the 'stick out' in a mix from getting-doing it will take all the life and "sizzle" out of your music. Have fun and good luck!! :-)

thats kinda of a redundant thing to say. its true about almost everything. the most expensive "place noun here', is always better....
but yet again, it doesnt have to be true. i have some cheaper stuff that sounds way better than anything in pro studios

The really expensive compressors are the best. That's why radio songs sound so good. What's your budget?

Compressor quality is a limiting factor but user's skill has more overall influence on the quality of the final product. I doubt the OP will get any more out of a really expensive one than from a basic one.

Last edited:
I'll take the simplest compressor plug-in with someone who knows how to use it tastefully, over someone with no experience using some expensive vintage hardware piece any day!

Don't look at it like something that will raise the quality of your tracks.

I think this is one of the few rules in this racket that applies to pretty much everything. Some $2,000 outboard compressor, or the waves bundle, or some UAD card stuff might be teh awesome, but it doesn't mean it won't take a very expensive dump on your mix if you don't know what you're doing with it. Especially with compression. Poorly applied compression, no matter how expensive, is a surefire way to kill a tune.

These things are just tools, not processes and procedures to be used just because they're good. Shouldn't really use anything if you don't know why. It's like "I'm building a table...I have a feeling I need to use this chainsaw in the process, because those things are pretty cool, and it did some damn good work in my garden, but other than that I don't know why....", or "I need to cut this tree down, and this screwdriver here is a pretty awesome screwdriver so..."

"I'm building a table...I have a feeling I need to use this chainsaw in the process, because those things are pretty cool, and it did some damn good work in my garden, but other than that I don't know why....", or "I need to cut this tree down, and this screwdriver here is a pretty awesome screwdriver so..."

lol. jsjsjsjsjsjsjsjs

Back