How badly does this hurt your ears?

Hi there!

I made a punk-ish cover of a christmas song, just for fun. I made an instrumental track but it was rather boring without vocals. So although I can't sing AT ALL....

Dude....one of the staple requirements of Punk is that the vocals don't end up sounding too good.
If they did...then it would be Pop instead of Punk. ;)

Punk vocals are all about attitude.

All that said...the problem with your song is that everything sounds like it's out of time...guitars, drums, vocals.
Try using a click track.

Oh..and the the vocals need more punch...more scream.
Actually...the whole song does.
It doesn't really sound like Punk...it sounds more like some psychedelic, post-rock thing.

Dude....one of the staple requirements of Punk is that the vocals don't end up sounding too good.
If they did...then it would be Pop instead of Punk. ;)

Punk vocals are all about attitude.

All that said...the problem with your song is that everything sounds like it's out of time...guitars, drums, vocals.
Try using a click track.

Oh..and the the vocals need more punch...more scream.
Actually...the whole song does.
It doesn't really sound like Punk...it sounds more like some psychedelic, post-rock thing.

Hi! Thanks for your reaction. That's why I said "punk-ish", I didn't know how to call it :D. And I don't have to be a good singer, but even in rock/punk/whatever, singing way of key doesn't sound good. I didn't use a click track because it was hard to sync it with the drums I got from Youtube. And I admit I didn't cut/paste all of the parts perfectly. It was all great advice, thanks for that, but what's your overall opinion? Good enough to be online or not? :D

... what's your overall opinion? Good enough to be online or not? :D

Well...I would think that if there are obvious timing issues (for whatever reason)..."good enough to be online" shouldn't even be a consideration.

There are other issues...the vocal quality being just one of them, the level balance between tracks another...but those things, even if corrected, would still suffer if the timing issues are not addressed first.
You don't need to use a click...but at least play/sing in time with the drums...which you are not.

There's no hate in what I say...just telling you the truth.

Like Miro says, no hate just the truth.

I think you know it's awful. You even titled it that way on sondcloud.
The title of the thread is quite revealing as well.

Maybe you are looking for someone to tell you, nah it's not that bad?

Well, you know it needs work. It can only get better from here.
:D

My question to you is: Although it's obvious that I'm not a great singer, is it good enough to share on Youtube and Facebook without embarrassing myself? :D

OK, I'm going to be blunt: No, it is not good enough (not sure what that means, but if not embarrassing yourself is the bar you've set, then you didn't reach it). Your friends are being nice, or perhaps they are also tone-deaf. You are singing about a half step off everywhere, and there are some major technical issues to contend with.

I recommend getting lessons with a very good teacher. Expect to take 3-4 years before being able to sing something passable. If you don't absolutely love singing, you may wish to focus your attention on playing an instrument, as it will be a tough road ahead of you.

Many people think that anyone can sing, that it's easy, that you don't have to work at it to be good, that you're just born with it. Nothing could be further from the truth. The MOST talented singers I know have worked their tails off on how to sing better...what should that say for the rest of us less talented? I'm not trying to be mean, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Maybe you are looking for someone to tell you, nah it's not that bad?

It's quite the opposite actually :D. My friends said "nah it's not that bad" although I thought it was awful. That's why I wanted a neutral opinion from people who actually know stuff about music. So thank you all for being honest! :D

Don't let it discourage you to give up...unless you really feel that's the best you will ever be able to do.

Some people have natural talents and certain things just come easy to them...but you can also develop a talent with hard work and repetition. Making music/art requires a lot of craft, which can be learned. It's not just something you are either born with or not.

The entire thing is going to be best put on Facebook/youtube and shared, where it will knock up a lot of clicks and shares - sadly, for all the wrong reasons. It is pretty awful on almost every front. That doesn't mean people won't play it - so make sure you set it up to generate money, which it certainly will!

Back