How are these vocals?

jimmiebananas

Hi,

I wanted to see if I could get some input on my singing. I don't have the time for lessons and I'm kind of just trying to find my voice by trying over and over again.

Anyway, please use the link below and listen to my rendition of "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" by Bob Dylan. I wasn't concerned with sound quality and I didn't do any mixing (and the low E is a bit out of tune) It's just a once through with me, my guitar and 2 mics.

Any input of any kind on the singing would be greatly appreciated!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=431654&content=music

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
This is not my type of music, but it's not too bad. There were a few notes that the pitch was a bit off, but who am I to judge on that. :o Over all, you have a good voice, fits well with that style of music. If anything, I'd say just give it a little more "emotion". What I do is use headphones and turn them up fairly loud to really get into the feel of the song.

That's just my two cents.

There were only a couple pitch spots - the most noticeable towards the beginning. Minor really....

Mix wise I wasn't diggin' the vocal eq, I could have used a bit more bottom end and maybe a different/less reverb.

Once you got going it was really good performance wise. There was some nice phrasing and some cool vibratos. Guitar playing was great too. Whatever you are doing for practicing vocals I think it's working. Do you warm up with exercises before you sing? I found that really improved my performances.

nice vocals

i think the vocals are great for this type of music!!

and I'm sure the song would sound even better live.

I think you have a wonderful raspy folksy voice. Perfect for the song, just alittle pitchy here and there. I'm sure you can nail it though.

The vocals are really good. The pitchy spots are because the guitar is out of tune. The pitch problem is at the same chord every time around.

Dan

Thanks a bunch for all of your comments, I appreciate it.

I've been trying to learn how to sing for a few years now and I'm just beginning to be able to sing in key for most of a song (helps if I tune the guitar a little better). I'm working on putting more emotion into it, but my voice just isn't that powerful yet. I like that people said that it fits the type of folky music; that's what I write. I chose a cover for feedback because it's easier to rate since there's something to compare it to.

It's good to know that a few people out there think it's at least listenable though, which is my only goal for the time being.

Hopefully I'll finish up some originals and post soon!

Back