How are the GarageBand plug-ins?

bluedaffy

I use Studio One Professional and I always use the plug-ins that were either bundled with the program when I got it or came with an upgrade. However, every time I go to use a Studio One plug-in I always see the "other ones" sitting there. Studio One allows third party plug-ins so it automatically found all the other ones that were on my computer and added them to my insert list. At first I was confused about what these were and where they came from, but soon put 2 and 2 together and realized they were from GarageBand. So I'm very curious what others have to say about these plug-ins because even though GarageBand is free on any Mac in the past 8 years or so I've read DAW reviews that say GarageBand shouldn't be brushed away as cheap or flimsy, it actually holds up pretty well to expensive DAWs out there.

So what do you say? Have you used any of the plug-ins? Especially the go-to's like compressors, EQ, limiters.

I have used almost every major DAW there is: Pro-Tools, Logic, Reaper, Cubase, Digital Performer, Reason (still use it), Studio One, and now I use GarageBand. The reason I use it is because it's so simple and the plugins, while they are not much to look at, sound pretty damn good. I really like their reverb and their compression. They sound great but their fallback is that they are somewhat limited in options. That having been said, all you would have to do is buy or download some free AUs!

If anyone has liked my mixes in the past year, it has been mixed through Reason and Garageband.

I was finally able to upgrade to GarageBand '11, even though I already have Logic Express 9. Mainly because GB is quick and easy to get something started--you can then move over to Logic if you need to do more. The plugins are pretty good, good enough now that they also are used in Logic.

You might also want to pick up a copy of Computer Music--they have a big set of instruments and effects on the monthly DVD. I've had better luck installing from the disc than downloads.

Hi CrowsofFritz, how's it goin'?

That's good to know! I know it sounds like a dumb question, "are they good" because I have them at my disposal, I should just be able to listen to them right? Well, that is true, but I feel that there is more to it in my situation. I am nearing the end of mixing an album and have used the Studio One processing for everything and now I'm just curious if I should have used some of the Apple stuff if it sounds better. Also, maybe it's because of using only the Studio One plug-ins for all of my mixing needs thus far but some of the Apple stuff confused me as far as why they are set up the way they are. For instance, Studio One has 1 EQ they call "Pro EQ", and in the GarageBand collection there is a bandpass, a filter, a high shelf filter, a low shelf filter, a hi pass, a low pass, a graphic eq, and a parametric eq. This was one of the things that sparked me posting this thread because on one hand I think, why would someone need all of those when there can be a single EQ that has the flexibility to change the parameters to make any of those things happen (like Pro EQ). And on the other hand I think maybe because each one of those plug-ins is dedicated to doing a single (or fewer) tasks they might do a better job of it and not produce as many artifacts or as much distortion. Kind of like shampoo and conditioner in the same bottle, does it really do the job as well as a bottle of each?

So if more people can give me insight on the pros and cons of either GarageBand plug-ins or Studio One plug-ins, please do. And to the folks that have already posted, thanks!

And before you say it. I know, that shampoo conditioner thing was a great analogy.

Back