How are people getting 600+ plays a day?

qb2k5

I'm really trying to promote my music, so I can start selling cd's in which I plan to do hopefully in December.

I was wondering if some of you guys who get 600+ plays a day can let me know on how your doing it?

Also do you get alot of emails about how people love/hate your music?

Im just trying to learn more on the buisness aspect of it.

Thanks

First of all, your stuff on your myspace is pretty catchy :cool: I like the faster one, which I think is the first.

And you just picked up 4 plays :D

I think a LOT of people do it themselves. :rolleyes: There are some people who couldnt possibly have the number of plays based on looking at their profile hits, they must sit there and click there own stuff to inflate their standing ( or their ego).

I would say you are doing fine, you had 63 today. The main thing is getting a more select audience, the ones that BUY CDs :D You can always put out messages like " New songs up" etc, but as it is you have a lot of friends and a lot of profile hits. Good going. :cool:

Yeah its more about getting a solid following than getting big numbers on a screen.
To get big numbers you ahve to spend ALL day sending out and replying to messages! Very tedious. I did it for a year solid! Im completely sick of it now.

I actually ran out of message in myspace a good few times from sending out so many messages!

hey...

we tend to get anywhere between 500-1000+ plays a day. frankly i'm a little astonished myself. for a while i figured that the thing was just busted and not reading correctly, but for some reason we seem to be getting good numbers with that. now on to probably the reason (and this was simply copied and pasted from another post i made about myspace promotion...)

=======================

hey guys...

myspace has been very good to us ( bag of toys http://myspace.com/bagoftoysmusic ). we've sold WAY more CDs because of being on myspace. here are my suggestions to selling some shit through there...

1. make sure you music doesn't suck.

2. find successful bands in the same genre as you and take some time to simply "add" people who leave "comments" on those bands pages. this works well two ways...1. they're interested enough in that type of music to take the time to comment and 2. you know they've been on recently and not some old person that doesn't go on myspace anymore (if you decide to just blindly add from bands "friends" pages).

3. if people respond, and say "nice shit!" comment or message them back. remind them that if they like your tunes, they might like your whole cd. they remember that stuff, and we've had people buy CDs because they were impressed that we took the time to respond. obviously, if you're music sucks, no one's going to want one no matter how nice you are (see point 1)

4. and this is pretty important...make sure people can easily purchase your CD and make links to those places from your page. for example, we've got iTunes, CD Baby, PayPal (which are all easy as shit to set up.) among a bunch of other less known places.

5. this one drives me fucking crazy...do NOT be one of those bands that post a comment on bands comment areas saying shit like...

IF YOU LIKE THIS ARTIST, YOU'LL LOVE US!!

some bands "comments pages" are literally 75% of stupid ass comments like this, and most of them are idiots that'll post these shameless self promotion comments like 5 times a day. i'll occasionally open their pages to see if that shit's actually working, and i'd say 9/10ths of them are still only getting like 100 plays or less a day, while bands like us end up with anywhere between 600 and 1000 plays a day and we stay away from looking like a bunch of douche bags on every artists site.

I'm sure there are lots of other little things you can do. but you follow this stuff, you're music doesn't suck (and trust me most of the bands on myspace are just plain bad) and you'll do ok. the important thing is hitting your target markets, and hitting similar bands comments is about as good as you can get.

good luck!
tait
bag of toys

=======================

so...i think following these steps should help a lot. keep in mind doing this stuff can take a while and can be quite the pain in the ass, but you should be seeing rising number pretty quick if that's important too you.

cheers!

Brilliant advise man.
Thats exaclt what ive been doing. :)
Great minds think alike.
It is best to keep it as personla as possible between your band and your fans, as they like this alot.

Eck

Wonderful advise Bag Of Toys. Also another thing that will get you play is to not make your music downloadable but post something that lets listeners know that if they want to download they have to message you. If people really like your songs they will return to your profile to listen to it and at times they will reccomend others to hear it. Also, (this helps me) network! I have many connections to big bay area artists. So (like Bag of Toys says) add the people who comment on them. BUT the defining factor is to have something on your profile that shows your relation to them. Example: I currently have a drop by The Mekanix (Digital Underground) on my profile. They currently bring in 100s of plays a day. Now when people who are fans of thiers come to my profile and hear the drop they automatically know about our allegence and then become frequent viewers of my profile. I also recently collabed with Dylan (Making The Band 2), so imagine how many plays I will recieve when people come to my profile!? Also, make it easy for myspace users to add you as a friend from ANY location. I am a member of MANY forums and in every single one I have an attractive ADD ME graphic in my signature (such as the one below). That way myspace users can ADD me easily from forums. Also hae an attractive unique profile. BELIEVE ME THE LAST POINTS HELP!!! Tell me if this advice helped!

Thanks guys for the advice. Really apprieciate it.

Young Boss you worked with Dylan the Dillenger? Nice.

:)

DavidK said:
First of all, your stuff on your myspace is pretty catchy :cool: I like the faster one, which I think is the first.

And you just picked up 4 plays :D

I think a LOT of people do it themselves. :rolleyes: There are some people who couldnt possibly have the number of plays based on looking at their profile hits, they must sit there and click there own stuff to inflate their standing ( or their ego).

I would say you are doing fine, you had 63 today. The main thing is getting a more select audience, the ones that BUY CDs :D You can always put out messages like " New songs up" etc, but as it is you have a lot of friends and a lot of profile hits. Good going. :cool:

Thanks alot man! :D

Robertt8 said:
hey...

we tend to get anywhere between 500-1000+ plays a day. frankly i'm a little astonished myself. for a while i figured that the thing was just busted and not reading correctly, but for some reason we seem to be getting good numbers with that. now on to probably the reason (and this was simply copied and pasted from another post i made about myspace promotion...)

=======================

hey guys...

myspace has been very good to us ( bag of toys http://myspace.com/bagoftoysmusic ). we've sold WAY more CDs because of being on myspace. here are my suggestions to selling some shit through there...

1. make sure you music doesn't suck.

2. find successful bands in the same genre as you and take some time to simply "add" people who leave "comments" on those bands pages. this works well two ways...1. they're interested enough in that type of music to take the time to comment and 2. you know they've been on recently and not some old person that doesn't go on myspace anymore (if you decide to just blindly add from bands "friends" pages).

3. if people respond, and say "nice shit!" comment or message them back. remind them that if they like your tunes, they might like your whole cd. they remember that stuff, and we've had people buy CDs because they were impressed that we took the time to respond. obviously, if you're music sucks, no one's going to want one no matter how nice you are (see point 1)

4. and this is pretty important...make sure people can easily purchase your CD and make links to those places from your page. for example, we've got iTunes, CD Baby, PayPal (which are all easy as shit to set up.) among a bunch of other less known places.

5. this one drives me fucking crazy...do NOT be one of those bands that post a comment on bands comment areas saying shit like...

some bands "comments pages" are literally 75% of stupid ass comments like this, and most of them are idiots that'll post these shameless self promotion comments like 5 times a day. i'll occasionally open their pages to see if that shit's actually working, and i'd say 9/10ths of them are still only getting like 100 plays or less a day, while bands like us end up with anywhere between 600 and 1000 plays a day and we stay away from looking like a bunch of douche bags on every artists site.

I'm sure there are lots of other little things you can do. but you follow this stuff, you're music doesn't suck (and trust me most of the bands on myspace are just plain bad) and you'll do ok. the important thing is hitting your target markets, and hitting similar bands comments is about as good as you can get.

good luck!
tait
bag of toys

=======================

so...i think following these steps should help a lot. keep in mind doing this stuff can take a while and can be quite the pain in the ass, but you should be seeing rising number pretty quick if that's important too you.

cheers!

Hey man I wanted to ask you if it is good to have a sample album MP3 player for listeners to hear one minute each of my 12 or so tracks? Or should I take it down?

Thanks man

qb2k5 said:
Hey man I wanted to ask you if it is good to have a sample album MP3 player for listeners to hear one minute each of my 12 or so tracks? Or should I take it down?

Thanks man

I honestly don't really know. I personally don't see the point in that. i think 4 songs are plenty to show people what your capable of. i kind of assume that people can just go to iTunes or something to hear clips (assuming your up on itunes). i subscribe to the "leave them wanting more" theory. if you give them everything you've got, they've kind of heard it all. i think it's nice for some suprises when they pick up or download your CD. These are just my random thoughts, but I think 4 decent songs for them to listen to should be plenty for them to decide if they'd like youre whole album or not.

I havn't really done much on MySpace, but I have a few ideas on what I think would work - put up 4 full songs, and make your best one fully downloadable. Then people will log in to hear your music, and if they like it will download it and put it their media players - then send it over MSN/Yahoo/whatever to all their little friends they think might like it.

Just an idea...

I have no fans, therefore I have to respect no-one :D
But yeah, I didnt mean that in a patronising way, I just meant that if you've heard this great band you want to tell your friends about, they'll probably want to hear some tunes without going onto MySpace every two seconds.

firstly i dont have a myspace music page at the moment, so i am just a user :eek:
Depending on your style of music, your look means alot. Get some good press photos (practically everyone and their sister thinks there a photographer so get some free photos :p ). Make your default a band photo with a nice band logo on it. Then on your page have banners available that link to your site so people can put them on your profiles.
Also make sure any links, photos, extras etc you have all work, also make it clear your have a product to sell (a cd, tshirts, pinbadge)

man i wish i had 5000 suttin friends lol, and i put a lot of work into designin my myspace

good luck qB, look like i got a long road to catch up with you

Back