How am i doing.

keithersgsx2003

Im using a very basic M-audio Fast track usb with Sonar 7xl software. I have 10 songs on myspace and you can really tell that each one gets better and better the more i learn as far as recording goes. Production wise anyways....lol. I was just hoping for a couple of opinions of what i can do with what i have. Im FAR from perfect but not doing to bad for what i have. Im thinking the only thing i will need to really make me happy would be a decent preamp, and a better audio interface. I have been looking at Edirols here latley.....does anyone here use those. Its gotta be better than my Fast track. lol.

CHEERS

I listened to the first and last and yes you're right you are improving...much the same as myself..

Id say performance/talent wise you've got it going on..but your mixing needs a bit more work

In "We are the ones" theres a huge lack of bass on my system, the drums need work..they sound very much like they are straight out of a box...the kick is MIA and the whole level needs brought up..Id give the kick a boost at around 50Hz and then bring them all up and take it from there...the vocals were too low for me as well and possibly needing a little EQing as well, Im no expert

all in all its just tweaking...Ive yet to present a mix here that didnt need an overhaul so youre much closer than most of mine are

Hey man,

Agreed, you are definitely improving with every mix.

IMO the guitar's could use some work. Try recording with less distortion that you would normally use playing live. You could also look into using something like GuitarRig for your guitars if you are like me and dont have Marshall/Orange/Two Rock's/Diezel's or whatever lying around collecting dust :)

A little panning and EQ could also do a lot for adding space to the recording.
Use it sparingly!!

You've definitely got the performance portion and like you said, we all get better with every mix.

As for the Fast Track, I have used them sparingly but have not used any Edirol interfaces. I know a few people who do and seem to be satisfied with them. I think when starting out its important to find something that fits your needs. If you are only recording a few tracks at a time, then you dont need an interface that is capable of tracking 8 inputs. Instead, find something that will handle what you need to accomplish, and do it well. A good Mic/Pre will do wonders for your vox too!

I'm rambling now, so I apologize.

Best Regards

Back