How about these tunes...?

Danny Chung

Right, after testing my skills on including website addresses in messages, here's some stuff that I did recently.

It's here at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/dannychungmusic.htm

I've tested the download links and they all work. I think you have to sign up on the website just to listen to them unfortunately.

The first 2 are tunes that I fortunately saved on my iMac before my Smartmedia card went haywire. I'm using a ZOOM PS-02 since I'm working to severe financial constraints. They're just demos really. The 1993 song I would like to develop further since it's been around for 10 years. I was busy with other things in the meantime.

I decided to pan the guitars hard to the left and right like in Mick Taylor-era Stones records.

The last tune is my questionable cover of And Your Bird Can Sing. I did this to test out the capabilities of the ZOOM and also to see if I could play both lead guitar parts on one guitar up to tempo. The ZOOM has only 3 tracks but can record multiple takes. I used bouncing to allow me to record more tracks into the mix.

Drums were bog standard patterns which I programmed from the ZOOM. I recorded a rhythm guitar, a bass guitar and lead guitar plus a main vocal and 2 harmony vocals.

In the ZOOM, you can't pan the drums since they were fixed at the centre. I panned the rhythm guitar and bass (bounced onto one track) slightly to the left, the lead guitar hard to the right, and the main vocal and harmony vocals (bounced onto one track) I left in the middle.

Due to whatever process that Soundclick has during the uploading, the vocals have been moved more prominently in the mix.

Comments welcome

Thanks, guys

Danny

dude, nobody wants to sign up for anything.

I wont listen if it's a hassle to get there.

And asking people to sign up for a service is a hassle.

This will be reflected by large page views with little or no replies.

its a hassle to sign up.

Not that big a deal to sign up. I went through it and haven't felt the urge to go all Andy Rooney about the experience.

Plus the D/L is HAPPENING FAST. I got on avg. 380KB/sec for each of the three tunes there.

My favorite pick is the country boogie. What you need is a real drum track and maybe a slide player. The drum programming was decent enough but you need live to wake this mix up. You might find someone in the clinic willing to donate a real drum track!

Your Beatles cover was instrumentally tight enough to pass muster but the vocals were "impaired karaoke" out of key.

Hey thanks guys

Yeah, signing up (even if it's free) is a pain.

Right, I'll check out nowhereradio.

Countryboogie, I'll work on it again. I'm a bit embarrassed about that track. I'll see about working the drums again.

The one thing I enjoyed about doing "And Your Bird Can Sing" was doing the vocals, even if they're a bit off. Doing the harmony vocal took ages. Singing harmony is quite tricky to do.

Comments on 1993 song?

LOL! You recorded that on the little smartmedia card on the Zoom? I have one of those they're great, i take it with me everywhere. People are always looking at me strange in the airport or park when i whip it out and start jamming.

You really shouldn't use the little memory card for recording. It works great for DI if you run it into a decent soundcard. I like the sounds i got from this better than when i had to pay muy dineros for studio time.

Be forewarned my drums always get canned (HA! very punny) on my recording but if you don't like the center pan, DI just the drum tracks onto your pc then you can pan/slice/dice/fx the packaged drum loops however you want.

Danny, Nice compostions. I really dont care for the hard pan in the mix. Maybe chill the guitar effects some. On the vox ,You gotta sing like you dont care if they hear ya in the next room. Let your voice loose.

Pretty cool stuff

peace
Bill

Hey thanks guys

I decided to upload my stuff again on the forum-friendly nowhereradio.com. Certainly a lot easier than soundclick and no waiting too.

I've tested the web location on myself first and did the test download which worked OK.

It's here again at: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/discography.php?aid=3057

Just the original stuff on nowhereradio. I've dropped "And Your Bird Can Sing" from the set. I'm just scared of this copyright infringement hassle. I do have a vocal free version though if forum members want to practise their own vocal interpretation.

I have 128MB Smartmedia card with "And Your Bird Can Sing" on it. A 64MB card did have the other 2 but that went haywire. I can record them again though. Tricky little buggers, these Smartmedia cards.

Being a neo-Luddite, looks I've got a lot to learn on home-recording. I'll certainly try and make the effort.

Thanks again

Danny

I never looked at the size of the card i had.

All i remember is playing around with it for the first few days and being all bummed when it wouldn't hold more than about a 2 minutes worth of my recordings.

It is however a GREAT tool if you treat it like a dictation tape-recorder. On the road you come up with a great riff but are afraid you'll forget it before you get home, slap it down on that card for safekeeping.

I had to listen to a man named "Chung" doing "country blues."

:D :D

Not bad. I liked the bed okay; (maybe a little hyped in the low end, but not bad). Something about the lead tone was odd...it's sounds cool, and it didn't sound harsh, but after listening to it for a few minutes, it started kinda' grating on my ear drums. It's probably just me.

Thats not a Rick 12 string is it? Sounds great! The drums are a little troubling. You do a good job of capturing the 60s sound on the leads. I thought the rhythm part was a little busy on the country tune, especially because I don't hear any other rhythm instruments. Maybe it would work if there was a piano or another rhythm guitar strumming.

Nice guitar part on the right. It sounds like it was clipping a bit on the way in. The sum total of the thin clean sound, verb and mix levels on the guitars kind of took the punch out of this for me tho. Sort of a momma and poppas mix without the nostalgia.

Ya, Country Boogie is more up front. You've got some nice guitar parts going on. The differeing echo bewtween the two guitars kind of throws the mix off balance although I think I know what you are going for with the lead sound. Maybe it needs a third guitar or some keys on the right so you can pan the trangy lead down the center?

Some very cool guitar parts, Overall the mixes could be fatter.

Back