How about an original.

cmhansen

Lame attempt at rock and roll. Please don't listen! As you can see by the replies, it ain't worth your time or effort.

Let's do a little blues rock. The bass and drums are synths. The vocal, there is no vocal 'cause I can't sing, even though the lyric is nearly done. The guitar, well the guitar is me. Telecaster run through a Digitech pedal, direct to the computer via the Delta 66 Omni. Done in two takes because I goofed up right in the middle of the solo the first time.

Guess what I want to know is, how's the playing, one. And two, what you think about the song in general. I know that might be a little hard considering the no vocal. Imagine.

'Bad Habits'

Thanks for any listens and replies.

Last edited:
I couldn't listen to more than thirty seconds of that jackhammer snare sample. There are no dynamics in that programmed drum beat, and that annoyed me more than the Zoom-sounding guitar that just kept going on and on without indicating any hint of a melodic theme. Find a good thirty seconds of this repititious indulgence and send it to the Weather Channel. They need some new stuff for the "Local on the Eights" segments.

And this is me being nice.........

I like the gtr playing a lot. Spontaneous-sounding gtr line but the tone could have a bit more attack to sound more live.

Won't comment on the drums except to say that I dislike repetitive canned drums in general compared to the driving and varied realism of a live player.

The gtr lines and performance have a lot of potential with the right arrangement and mix IMO.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to have to make you listen. Guess I should take down the link so others don't have to suffer the same fate.

Yeah, I really don't care for the drums either, but that's all I've got at the moment, so I got to use what I got, I suppose. And programming drums is not something I do, ever.

As for the melody, the melody is in the vocal part. The guitar, bass and drums are just a backdrop, if you will. Guess I should have found somebody to sing it before entertaining any ideas of putting it up here.

Hmm... Guess I better just stick to the acoustic guitar and forget about all this rock non sense. Ah, live and learn. :D

One listener that says they hate it.
One listener says they like it.

How does that add up to, "sorry I made you listen... guess I'll take it down and give up the elec gtr"?

Sorry to have to make you listen. Guess I should take down the link so others don't have to suffer the same fate.

Jesus man....Are you typing this from a ledge somewhere? Not toooooo over-dramatic.:eek:

It's pretty good. The guitar sounds canned, but nice delay and better playing than I can pull off, so no criticism on that. The drums would be tolerable if they weren't doing that roll on every single bar. You'd probably be better off just programming a simple "Kik on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4". No crashes, no rolls. They'd be less distracting.

(Don't jimp off that ledge yet...We all put up our music for critiques, that's why this forum exists)

Thanks again for the replies.

Sorry about all the drama stuff. I guess what I really wanted to know was how was the song, and not necessarily the instruments. I know the drums aren't great, so maybe my statement may have been a little over the top. I'll try your suggestion about the drums. Maybe I'll try some other type of drums and see how things go.

Should mess around with the guitar settings a little bit more before committing to record also. Beef up the tone. Don't know whether you can do that with just the pedal though when running direct.

Sorry about all the melodramatic stuff. :o

Maybe MadAudio was over-dramatic?

Maybe. But, even if he was. Unless someone is downright insulting, we have to expect all kinds of reactions when we put stuff up. Mad gave his opinion of how the song makes him feel. It might have had an edge to it, but I don't think he was rude.

I was needling Mr. Hanson, and he took it well. The state of the Union is fine. :)

Maybe MadAudio was over-dramatic?

Actually gave him a good reputation. I thought his views were honest and refreshing. I figure the only way to learn is to get criticism that is helpful. To constantly get replies with no substance is a disservice, not only to me, but to others who might read the thread. So no problems here.

Actually gave him a good reputation. I thought his views were honest and refreshing. I figure the only way to learn is to get criticism that is helpful. To constantly get replies with no substance is a disservice, not only to me, but to others who might read the thread. So no problems here.

I'm glad you took it in that spirit, because I wasn't trying to be a dick or dramatic. Just honest.

Cheers!

I guess what I really wanted to know was how was the song,

Its fine. As pointed out, the drum pattern is what is holding it back. The whole thing is a little boring: not the lead, but the background stuff. A few synth pads at different spots will help. Right now it is somewhat of a musical karaoke, where a solo is jamming over the most basic elements of music. Spruce up the background and you are all set.:cool:

Its fine. As pointed out, the drum pattern is what is holding it back. The whole thing is a little boring: not the lead, but the background stuff. A few synth pads at different spots will help. Right now it is somewhat of a musical karaoke, where a solo is jamming over the most basic elements of music. Spruce up the background and you are all set.:cool:

i think if the periphials were spruced up to where there was more of a thought-out song aspect to the background instruments, then the lead part would, by default, tend to take on more of a melodic and pleasing-to-listen-to structure, you know?

As it is, you're just jamming on a backing track - which is cool - but to grab attention and hold it, that backing has to be more than cut&paste.

good guitarist though.

just 2 cents:D

Check out some good live recorded drum loops over at Beta Monkey. With a little simple editing and adding some fills you can go real far and it's not hard to learn.

I couldn't live without them:

http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/

And yeah, I hate that guitar tone. I am a vintage tube amp snob.

Thanks for the listen and comments.

Thought I'd take your suggestion today and try a string patch. I think I over did it though. Though I do like it where the last vocal part should go.

Think I may redo the whole thing a get a drummer and bass player somewhere.

lifes_a_fallacy's

Thanks for the comments. Especially the good guitarist. :D

blkdog7

Thanks for the input. I'll sure look into those links you provided. Guess I should warm up the old Peavey Classic and see if I can get any tone out of that.

Did update the song so the snare isn't so obnoxious. Also added a string patch that David suggested. Not to sure if I like that or not. But it sounds different. Also added a synth for where the vocal part should go so you could hear the melody, though I guess it's not that much of a melody. The lyric isn't quite done but here are the first two stanzas. Still working on the third.

Why you treat me so mean
Meanest woman that I've ever seen
All those tears I cry don't mean a thing
Though I feel so forsaken, baby
Bad habits are so hard to break.

I don't know where you've been
But it's calling me back again
All I need from you is your sweet love
'Cause the way you shake that thing, baby
Bad habits are so hard to break.

Not much of a lyric but it reminds me a little of early Zep for some reason.

I think the synth stuff is way too much. Sounds kinda dorky. The rest is okay but I have to agree with MadAudio that it's kinda boring and has no real direction. It's mostly just guitar wanking over a backing track. It's not bad, it's just not my thing. :o

Back