How about a USB Neve interface

Pretty cool but dang is it worth the $1300 USD? I read a few reviews and people like it a lot but are we average joes going to know the difference from this and say maybe the the UAD VolT? @ 1/4 of the cost?

The Neve has INSERTS.
I'm not sure how big of a deal the insert feature is. I'd be interested in hearing why it is important to you and also Rob's thoughts on that feature. Seems the selling point that Neve marketing is standing on is the REAL NEVE preamps and for that I question is it worth the investment especially for us average Joes. I'm kind of digging that SSL 12 though I had been eyeing the Volt. That said at least for me, I am holding off on buying anything till after NAMM this year...

I have a 1073OPX. I am NOT sorry I got it. Now that interface I have no hands on with but I WAS looking at the SSL. Third the price and decent mic pres

I'm not sure how big of a deal the insert feature is. I'd be interested in hearing why it is important to you
I've talked about this before. Generally interfaces don't give you inserts.
I want inserts, because I have some outboard gear I would like to use.
In particular, I have a Behringer V-Verb pro reverb unit, which is very very nice.
Snobs out there might bad-mouth the V-Verb pro, but those snobs are idiots.
I also have a Behringer Virtualizer 'something or other' effects box.
In addition, inserts will be useful when recording with the Boss Acousctic Singer VE-8 harmonizing box,
by taking the guitar input from a daw track, while singing into the mic, and monitoring on headphones, thus keeping vocals
separate to guitar.
That anwers your question TAE, but here are more observations.

The SSL 12 looks more like a competitor to the Focusrite 18i8, and is not dis-similar in price.
Both offer 4 preamps, and 8 more ADAT channels. The 18i8 has a further 4 line in jacks on the rear.

The Neve 2 channel interface is similar in price to the SSL Big Six, which offers a hell of a lot more (including channel and mix bus compression and inserts).
The SSL 12 32-bit converters will make little difference to the amateur, or indeed a pro.
All of this kit will be made in china, so 'Genuine Neve preamps, and SSL preamps' should be taken with a pinhch of salt.

Reactions: TAE
I would appreciate the Neve for the inserts as I'd like an easy way to add some hardware, but it's way outside my budget.

My mistake Recycle, I forgot the Neve price. The SSL is a mixer with an integral 16 in 16 out interface.
It is good to see Neve addressing the lower end of the market, as is SSL.

Back