Hotel California bad edit?

Interested to know how that would be connected back together? Presumably there would be an ultra thin adhesive film to reconnect the tape back together on the non magnetic side? Also would the magnetic side need to be treated in any way as there would have been a tiny groove where the tape rejoined?

Good stuff Rob 😉👍
Sorry I meant James, I am old and confused 😅😉👍

Todd Rundgren put this on his Something/Anything album. What a great sense of humor!

Yep....Todd was ahead of his time

The great thing about modern tech and DAW though is the "democratisation" of music recording. Back in the day you had to be rich or have a record deal to make studio quality music, now you do not.
That takes the power away from multinational big business and puts creativity back in the hands of those who matter... ie the aspiring artist and not businessmen. And that...I believe ... has to be a good thing.
Just IMVHO 😉👍

Interested to know how that would be connected back together? Presumably there would be an ultra thin adhesive film to reconnect the tape back together on the non magnetic side? Also would the magnetic side need to be treated in any way as there would have been a tiny groove where the tape rejoined?

Good stuff Rob 😉👍
You've never spliced a tape together? It really isn't that big of a deal. This is a quick video of splicing a leader tape. It's exactly the same for splicing the audio tape, except you have to find the exact moment you need to make the cuts, and mark them, the align the marks and make the cut. Taking your time and having the right tools is the key.

You've never spliced a tape together? It really isn't that big of a deal. This is a quick video of splicing a leader tape. It's exactly the same for splicing the audio tape, except you have to find the exact moment you need to make the cuts, and mark them, the align the marks and make the cut. Taking your time and having the right tools is the key.

Way above my tech ability Tal!
But thanks 😉👍

The trouble is these days we are spoilt for choice of DAWs and stuff us amateurs can use that professionals could only dream of back in the day. When these recordings were made , the only consumer playback devices were vinyl or tape, I doubt any of these edits would have been very noticeable at all on the analogue equipment of the day.

One of the tests we did for radio was speech. Taking an important speech, like a prime minister or president and cutting the tape and rearranging it to make them say things they didn’t! People who really got editing could take a few of their speeches on different subjects and make them say totally different things. So good that nobody could detect it. One of the reasons why police stations were equipped with dual cassette recorders so the accused person had exactly the same tape recording as the prosecutors, to stop the editing. Many broadcast reel to reels had record controls and meters removed and the new blank panel fitted with a splicing block. 45, 60 and 90 degree grooves in an aluminium block. A reel of splicing tape (like sellotape, but much less sticky and squishy glue) and some leader tape in nice colours. razor blades were single sided, so you didn’t slice your fingers and the damn things could get magnetised so every edit went click! Idiots would splice a tape with ordinary sellotape sometimes, and after a month, your layers were glued together, ripping the tape, contaminating the heads, the guides and even the spool. Yuk! Oh yes, and your edit points were marked on the back of tape with a chinagraph pencil, a sort of early waxy sharpie. Radio broadcasters were amazingly quick and accurate, chopping out the sound bites and getting rid of filler.

one other test was editing out every um, er, and “you know” that some people say all the time. It would then be fun to take all these removed ers and ups, and ‘you knows’ and rejoin them. Electronic editing is now common and really simple, but old style razor edits could do quite amazing things. It was above my skill level, but I’ve seen overlap edits done on a stereo half track, where left and right tracks are edited an inch or so apart. A half cut on one side another maybe an inch away on the other side and the. A lengthwise slice down the middle. Cutting through two overlapping layers of tape. That was impressive editing.
worst thing with this kind of edit are failed splices. You take the tape off the shelf and the tape joints have failed on every edit, and the tape comes apart.

oh yes, and we always stored reel to reels tail out at the end, so print through from one layer to the next which sort of produced an echo of something loud on the layer touching it, would come after the event, not before it. Music that started quiet, then suddenly had a big drum hit were the worst. After a few months in store, the loud drum hit would be faintly audible over the quiet bit. Store at the end, and that is less problematic as the phantom echo comes after the music, not before it.

I’d forgotten all this stuff. The annoying thing with storing tapes tail out at the end is when you don’t know, so thread it up and discover it’s playing backwards!

I’d forgotten all this stuff. The annoying thing with storing tapes tail out at the end is when you don’t know, so thread it up and discover it’s playing backwards!
That's a good reason for putting the right coloured leader tape at each end. Green for the start and red for the end. Tape with red leader at the free end goes on the right hand reel while green leadered tape goes on the left reel.

I was taught how to edit tape by a man named John Horton who was the engineer who assembled "American Top 40" for Watermark Productions. They owned the show before Casey Kasem bought it.

Last edited:
I seem to remember we had red and white stripes at the end!
Yes, some studios liked the stripy leader. The only problem is that the ink on the leader sticks to the oxide on the tape after a while which has caused me a real nightmare with some tape transfers. No matter how gently you try to unspool the tape, it is almost impossible to stop the oxide sticking to the ink. I've come to really dislike engineers that edited their tapes so that the music started immediately after the leader.

Most studios I hung out at used paper leader because plastic types were more difficult to work with and could make static electricity pops/clicks going past the playhead during mastering.

I was taught how to edit tape by a man named John Horton who was the engineer who assembled "American Top 40" for Watermark Productions. They owned the show before Casey Kasem bought it.
Yes I remember Casey doing that show.
Shaggy?! Gosh he looked old even in the 90s, zoikes!! 😅😅

Yes, some studios liked the stripy leader. The only problem is that the ink on the leader sticks to the oxide on the tape after a while which has caused me a real nightmare with some tape transfers. No matter how gently you try to unspool the tape, it is almost impossible to stop the oxide sticking to the ink. I've come to really dislike engineers that edited their tapes so that the music started immediately after the leader.
Interesting stuff James, can I ask please? The adhesive tape used must have been very thin otherwise would have caused problems with the tape machine? Wouldnt the tape become all "lumpy" if you did a load of cutting and edits?

One of the tests we did for radio was speech. Taking an important speech, like a prime minister or president and cutting the tape and rearranging it to make them say things they didn’t! People who really got editing could take a few of their speeches on different subjects and make them say totally different things. So good that nobody could detect it. One of the reasons why police stations were equipped with dual cassette recorders so the accused person had exactly the same tape recording as the prosecutors, to stop the editing. Many broadcast reel to reels had record controls and meters removed and the new blank panel fitted with a splicing block. 45, 60 and 90 degree grooves in an aluminium block. A reel of splicing tape (like sellotape, but much less sticky and squishy glue) and some leader tape in nice colours. razor blades were single sided, so you didn’t slice your fingers and the damn things could get magnetised so every edit went click! Idiots would splice a tape with ordinary sellotape sometimes, and after a month, your layers were glued together, ripping the tape, contaminating the heads, the guides and even the spool. Yuk! Oh yes, and your edit points were marked on the back of tape with a chinagraph pencil, a sort of early waxy sharpie. Radio broadcasters were amazingly quick and accurate, chopping out the sound bites and getting rid of filler.

one other test was editing out every um, er, and “you know” that some people say all the time. It would then be fun to take all these removed ers and ups, and ‘you knows’ and rejoin them. Electronic editing is now common and really simple, but old style razor edits could do quite amazing things. It was above my skill level, but I’ve seen overlap edits done on a stereo half track, where left and right tracks are edited an inch or so apart. A half cut on one side another maybe an inch away on the other side and the. A lengthwise slice down the middle. Cutting through two overlapping layers of tape. That was impressive editing.
worst thing with this kind of edit are failed splices. You take the tape off the shelf and the tape joints have failed on every edit, and the tape comes apart.

oh yes, and we always stored reel to reels tail out at the end, so print through from one layer to the next which sort of produced an echo of something loud on the layer touching it, would come after the event, not before it. Music that started quiet, then suddenly had a big drum hit were the worst. After a few months in store, the loud drum hit would be faintly audible over the quiet bit. Store at the end, and that is less problematic as the phantom echo comes after the music, not before it.

Was that how "Are you experienced" was created?
Was it an unintended accident? 😅😅👍

Most studios I hung out at used paper leader because plastic types were more difficult to work with and could make static electricity pops/clicks going past the playhead during mastering.
The prerecorded reels of tape that my dad bought back in '54-55 have paper leaders. All three of the tapes that I've played needed to be retaped as the splices just fell apart. The Scotch reels don't even have leader tapes.

Interesting stuff James, can I ask please? The adhesive tape used must have been very thin otherwise would have caused problems with the tape machine? Wouldnt the tape become all "lumpy" if you did a load of cutting and edits?
Yes, splicing tape is very thin. Here's the sort of thing you need to use -

If you are planning a heavy editing session it helps to record at high speed so that you have plenty of space between edits. In my younger days I used to cut up famous records to make longer edits, sometimes looping just single bars. I started off working at 7.5ips but some of the edits were really tight. Working at 15ips made things much easier.

The 60s master of the bad edit was Norman Smith, the former Beatles engineer, in his work on Pink Floyd's first 2 albums and the Pretty Things' "SF Sorrow." Dang, some of those edits are horrendous {"Matilda Mother", "Set the controls for the heart of the sun", "Baron Saturday"}....
But I still love those songs and albums !

There's some interesting video on Youtube of Steve Albini doing tape edits. It's a lot of work, just remembering which piece of tape goes where! I read that Eddie Offord, while recording Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans, had taped tape snippets to the wall, to be used the next day for edits. The cleaning lady thought it was garbage (?!) and threw them out! He fished them out of the trash the next day and was able to use them.

Good stuff Rob 😉👍
splicing tape .... it was made specifically for that ..... and you would have a splicing block that held the tape in place to make it easier to get a straight or angled cut.
I've never done more than 1/4" and that was fairly simple although once it's cut it's cut so don't mess up!
and if you do mess up .... well then you just have to work around it or accept it.

I still have splicing tape around ..... not sure why.
but I did splice a broken cassette tape the other day

Back