Hookup to my PC and other stuff

Atomic

Hello everybody,

I wanted to ask these questions for a long time so here goes.

The stuff i have:

Maxi studio isis sound card
Mackie 120?? mixer
Lexicon ??100 effect processor
Audio technica mics (not condensator)
Pentium 333 mhz pc
I use cool edit pro for recording and mixing.
Digitech rp300 guitar effects
Crappy stereo

I record mostly guitars and voice. i usually do my drum loops with fruity loops.

Here's the deal. I'm not sure about my hookup. for the instruments or mics, that's ok. With my sound card, i have an out box with i 4 outs and 8 ins. i connect two out from my soundcard to the tape in on my mackie. this ways i can hear the tracks playing to overdub another track without having the playback in the mix.

I have the main outputs of my mackie plugged in the two first ins on my sound card. The 2 other outs of my sound card are plugged into my crappy stereo.

I have my lexicon into one of my sends on the mackie.

is this about right? i can get a decent sound with this setup. But i was wondering how i would hookup monitors to hear my music better while i mix.. where i would plug them and do i need an amp for that? i don't have any but are probably going to be my next buy. Finally when i want to record lets say vocals, i always use earphones plugges into my mixer. is there an another way?
I can't have my stereo turned on and the mixer at the same time cause it screams like crazy. it can't be right..

tnks a lot for your help!!

You are doing everything pretty correctly. There are many ways to do things and it just depends on what you need to do.

The feedback you hear when you have your mic live and the speakers on is the reason that headphones are used by most people. You can use speakers but you need a pretty dead room and you will get best results using headphones.

The only thing you might want to try is using the inserts on the Mackie channel that you want to send to your soundcard. Plug a 1/4" cable half way into the jack and it will send that channel directly to the soundcard for the cleanest signal path.

You can put your monitors on the main, monitor or tape outs on the mackie. It just depends on what you want to hear.

Back