Hooking up two Keyboards and a Rack Module???

WERNER 1

Hey Guys,... It's been a while since I've posted around here at all... and I don't think I've ever posted anything in this forum as I'm a guitar player :) ...

BUT - I've recently been asked to undergo getting a keyboard rig set up along with developing about 6 usable patches/sounds ...

There will be two keyboards in this rig along with a Fantom XR Rack Module. The two keyboards are a Motif and a Triton.

I have a rack case with a stereo line mixer as well ...

Ok... now I can program all types of effects processors and what not with out any problem,.. and I have a minimal amount of Midi knowledge (I use a Roland A80 controller with some VSTi stuff via midi (NI's Komplete 5) ..

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who might be willing to take me under their wing a bit and show me the ropes step by step on how to hood everything up correctly and how to develope/incorporate/ implement some new patches/sounds..

If anybody's interested, please let me know :)

Thanks,
Rick

MIDI wiring

I could almost bet that the Chapter 1 of each of the user's manuals on each and every keyboard you already own, has diagrams and illustrations on how to hook up MIDI from simple to complicated setups. Every piece of gear I have ever purchased incorporating MIDI, has had such sections written in the Owner's manual.

The Owner's manuals, is where you will also find all the particulars on how to program sounds in your equipment.

Furthermore, try Amazon.com for basic books on synthesis programming. There are several out there. Or drive to your closest Guitar Center and they carry those books, too.

Your right,.. I'm sure that the manuals for all of these units would have some sort of diagram that would show various hook up options,.. as well as all the details of programing different patches and sounds,...

But,.. once I get past that part and get into actually layering those three together and using one to control another and so on,... well I don't want to be sitting there trying to read a bunch of jargon I don't understand and trying to figure out some very generic/vague descriptions of how things should work... I'd rather get that first hand from someone who messes with this stuff on a daily basis and can highlight the "important" stuff to know and use..

did that make any sense?

Rick

What you're asking to do is gonna require a certain amount of knowledge and understanding of "jargon" in order to do splits and layers and have different keyboards or modules respond as you want them to.

I recommend a book called The MIDI Files by Rob Young.

There are also online tutorials about basic subtractive synthesis. Between those resources and the product manuals you should be able to get everything talking to each other and get an idea of how different patches are created.

If you are implementing a computer into this rig I also recommend a freeware program called MIDI-OX.

book - The MIDI Files by Rob Young

What you're asking to do is gonna require a certain amount of knowledge and understanding of "jargon" in order to do splits and layers and have different keyboards or modules respond as you want them to.

I recommend a book called The MIDI Files by Rob Young.

There are also online tutorials about basic subtractive synthesis. Between those resources and the product manuals you should be able to get everything talking to each other and get an idea of how different patches are created.

If you are implementing a computer into this rig I also recommend a freeware program called MIDI-OX.

I have that book, too, and it has proved extremely useful. I use it as a reference book as well. It's now up to a 2nd edition. Here's the link, if you are inclined: http://www.amazon.com/Midi-Files-Ro...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241838946&sr=1-1

As C7sus wrote, you'll be lost in our help at this point if you haven't studied your owner's manuals and gotten a grasp of synthesis concepts.

Well, I can't help you with patch development, BUT...

if you're going to be integrating these 3 units (and very nice units they are...I'm dying to get me hands on a used Triton), you might want to think about getting a Midi Solutions Quadra Thru Box (about $100.00 at Guitar Center). I've got something like 14 hardware based sound generating devices (synths, workstations, modules etc). After you hook up about 3 of these, the midi signal may start to be comprimised. The Thru Box solves that issue. I have 3 rigs and I'm using two thru boxes. Simply choose a controller keyboard (go midi out to the midi in of the Quadra), then plug the midi out's of the other 2 boards into the thru's of the Quadra. With 3 units, you don't even need the Quadra. Midi solutions makes a 1 in 2 thru box for about $50.00. Good luck.

Back