Hooking up this gear together (A mixer and a 4track)

Hombre diamante

Here in the basement there is a brand new TASCAM MFP01 Multitrack that has only one Mic/line 1/4" input and its level fader. This is its only input option and no more. Also, there is a new Mackie 402-VLZ3 compact mixer that has a pair of 1/4" Main Outs (left and right) and a pair of RCA Tape Outs. Those are the mixer´s outputs.

The Tascam Multitrack input specifications are:
input level: -50dBV or higher
input impedance: 50 KΩ

And the Mackie mixer specifications are:
All outputs level: +22dBu
output impedances:
main output: 120 ohms
tape output 1.0 kilohms

Do you think they could be hooked up together properly in order to use the mixers preamps? how? What cables or adapters could you use?

A jack lead from the left channel out of the mackie to the portastudio's input should work.
Just watch the levels going into the tape deck. Yes, you can saturate tape a little for a nice gritty sound, but if it is too distorted it will just sound atrocious.

Might as well have all channels in the desk panned left (if you adopt the left channel out as the connection to the portastudio). You'll only ever be recording one track at a time so even if you are running 2 signals into the desk, they'll end up on the same track in the portastudio.

Have fun
Dags

Yes, they can be connected together and used to build tracks.

I assume you either HAVE the relevant user manuals or have downloaded them?
So, the Tape out RCA from the Mackie will feed the input of the recorder so you will need an RCA to TS (guitar) jack lead*.

From the recorder, two RCA leads back to the Tape inputs on the mixer although you might find it better to return to a pair of line inputs(see *) on the Mackie. Headphones go into the Mackie for harkening unto the whole shebang. You can, it is true record only one track at a time but this is the way most folks use a computer music system anyway if they are solo. Indeed, my son did things this way for years even tho' he had a 4 track Teac A-3440 at his disposal.

It has to be said that the quality will be mediocre, especially WRT noise but a good type ll tape will help and hit that quite hard!

Do you want to dump tracks to a PC? If so the Behringer UCA 202 (222) is a very cheap way to do it, two tracks at a time and the performance of the 202 will be WAY better than the cassette!

*I suggest you buy a rake of RCA(phono) to RCA leads and a few RCA to 1/4" jack adaptors. These last are one of the few audio adaptors I am happy with and give you great flexibility of connection at minimal cost.

So yes! Can be done. Don't forget a can of ISOPROP booze and some cotton buds!

Dave.

Back