Hooking up SR-16 to Audigy 2 for midi

Jonny Storm

Has anyone hooked the SR-16 drum machine to a Audigy 2 sound card. I have the Audigy 2 ZS platinum with the front dashboard and it has midi ins and outs on the front so I don't have to use the midi\game port.
I have heard of people hooking up simular devices to a sound card but have not seen any one do it.
So I am not quite sure of the procedure. I know that it supposedly should use the soundcards sound bank and be able to play the patterns I have already created on the SR-16.
I have recorded the SR-16 many times with a stereo y cable but this limits the way that I can process the sound as it is only on 2 channels then.
Is using the cards soundbank a good idea or do I need another piece of software?
This is my first attempt at midi and I really don't know anything about it, so I don't want to screw anything up, if that is possible.
So if you can help, please do.
You can also contact me at JnnyStrm@aol.com
Thanx all.

I'm not familiar with that sound card, but I'm surprised you were able to find an Audigy that has midi ports.

You'll have a hard time finding drum sounds on the sound card (general midi) that sound better than the SR16 sounds, unless you are after a very specific sound.

I dont know how to tell your soundcard to use the midi ports for the sounds instead of using the sounds on the card. I always thought that required some kind of sequencer or extra software..... maybe not. Maybe there is a software that came with the card that will do that? The folks at SB are friendly, maybe you can call them and ask them.

Back