Hooking up SM57-rnc-Omni Studio

Joe Recorder

I'm going to be hooking up a SM57 thru a RNC1773 to a Omni studio. Here's some of my stupid question's. If I put my SM57 thru a transformer (XLR to TS) and connect it to my RNC, will this make it work as an unbalanced signal correctly? Would the wiring have to be redone?
Thanks.

The Omni I/O has 'Insert' points, which are after the preamp, but before the signal goes out of the Omni to your soundcard (Delta 66).

Look at the manual for the Omni to see how it's hooked up, but bacically, you plug the mic into which ever channel/preamp you choose on the Omni, put the RNC into the 'insert' point for that channel, and you're all set to compress/limit the mic signal before it goes into your soundcard/recording application.

Thanks Blue Bear Sound and Looney Tunez for the info. I didn't realize that I needed to go thru a preamp before compressing my SM-57 (That will eliminate my XLR to TS transformer needs). I'm also a lil confused about the wiring in the actual cable's (concerning cold and hot wires) as www.fmraudio.com brings up some issues about this on their FAQ's page. :)

Back