Hooking up mixer to computer

Metallica5

My friend(no seriously it's a friend of mine) is gonna hook up the mixer he just bought to his computer to record. He didn't buy an interface or anything. What cables would he need to plug into the back of his computer and how should he go about doing this. We don't plan on recording live...were gonna record seperately.

thanks a million

Well, your friend needs either 1/4" or RCA cable to go out of the mixer with an 1/8" (headphone jack) to go into the line in on the soundcard of the computer. I assume you still use the original soundcard that came with the computer.
Peace,
B

ok thanks. I have those things. I was just making sure that would work. His soundblaster doesn't even have a line in. We've been running our stuff through the mic in, I think. So i think he needs a new soundcard.

Metallica5 said:
His soundblaster doesn't even have a line in. We've been running our stuff through the mic in, I think. So i think he needs a new soundcard.

...Did you say Creative's Sound Blaster ? Everyone of them has one Line input. Even the old ancient SB16. But you're right better "musician" card will do better than any SB line...
;)
Jaymz

Yeah even my old computer which is like 10 years old has a line in and out. Unfortunately I still have a stupid SoundBlaster card, but I gotta get a job and buy a decent one.

Metallica5 said:

1)......His soundblaster doesn't even have a line in.

2) We've been running our stuff through the mic in, I think.

3) So i think he needs a new soundcard.

1) ???????????????? :confused:

2) DO NOT run it into thr MIC IN. Connect it in through the LINE IN. ;)

3) When you get enough money you should add another soundcard.

I know its insane. But we read through the manual and everything for his soundblaster and unless they have a different name for the line in then there is none on his! We will get a new soundcard though. Probaly something really really cheap. What is the best audio interface that isnt over 200 dollars that I should look at? thanks for all your help

treb311 said:
why shouldnt u use the mic in?

You shouldn't use the mic in because it has a preamp *cough* CRAP *cough* and is only meant to be used with those $2 computer mics. The signal coming out of your mixer is a line level singnal and will be too powerful for your mic input = BAD....

Are you sure their is no line in? That just doesn't make sense. My p133 has a line in... Is it a soundblaster card or an onboard sound dohicky?

A nice sound card to look at would be the M-Audio 24/96 $150? or the Delta 44 $225?

Just one more thing.... be careful, once you get addicted to this stuff like the rest of us, you can't escape MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

My friend and I decided that we are going to buy the EWS 88 MT Multitracking System. We just spent money on a mixer so why settle for something that wont get us a nice demo. I can't wait to get everything hooked up and start recording though, our band will make demos all the time now!
thanks for your help!

Back