Hooking up midi devices

xiaoken

I plan on hooking up a tone generator to a master keyboard. My aim is to use the sounds from the tone gen ONLY. Is this how I should hook them up?

Tone Gen OUT <--> IN Master Keyboard
Master Keyboard OUT <--> IN Midi Interface

The software I plan on using is cubase 5.1.

Pls help.

The keyboard will send MIDI messages to play sounds from the tone genertor, correct?

You have no path for messages to come to the tone generator in what you've described.

Here's the simplest thing to do if you want the computer to be able to record the MIDI data too:

MIDI Out of keyboard -> MIDI In of PC MIDI interface

MIDI Out of PC MIDI interface -> MIDI In of Tone Generator

You might also have to do something with the MIDI Oprions on the keyboard itself in cases it needs to have some setting enabled to send MIDI messages.

This enables you to play the tone generator (as long as the PC is on), record the notes you are playing as MIDI data, and play back the recorded MIDI data from the tone generator, change patches, etc. using Cubase.

Thanks. You've certainly clear it up for me.

Another question though. I am using the yamaha psr 280 as a master keyboard. There is no local control off switch.

Is there anyway to turn off local control for the psr280 from within cubase 5.1?

I have no idea. But if you don't route the audio output of the Yamaha anywhere, does it matter?

I don't know which board the Yamaha psr280 is - but as AlChuck said, if you don't connect the audio out from the Yamaha it doesn't matter. Unless, the Yamaha has built in speakers - in which case you may have no choice but to turn the volumn down on the Yamaha.

However, since you have the Yamaha, why not use the sounds in it- in addition to the tone module??? Even if it's a crap board it must have some decent sounds - at the very least you could layer sounds from the Yamaha and the tone module together.

If your devices have MIDI thru you can "daisy chain" them together - such as Yamaha out to the computer, computer out to the module and the module thru back to the Yamaha. Naturally, this is assuming you have the ability to accept 2 audio signals into cubase.

The psr280 has no midi thru. I bought it to learn how to play some tunes.

Its sounds are decent but too generic for me. I don't know if I'm too picky for a beginner or what.

Now I'm looking at the roland jv1010 for my first tone module. It seems a little bit old, and I'm not sure of the price, but I think it should be enough though some sources say the drum sounds are not so good.

On my Yamaha I disable local sounds by inserting a dummy headphone jack. Resistors don't make much noise....

xiaoken said:

Its sounds are decent but too generic for me. I don't know if I'm too picky for a beginner or what.

Now I'm looking at the roland jv1010 for my first tone module. It seems a little bit old, and I'm not sure of the price, but I think it should be enough though some sources say the drum sounds are not so good.

1. KORG X5D is perhaps what you want. It has everything you need for learning MIDI & sequencer. OK, it's not quite new, but works realy great for begginer need. Very nice match to PC's seq. most. It has even it's own MIDI port conected to Serial port. Very easy yet powerfull. Check Ebay I suggest. Or you may ask anybody here experienced with it.

2. I didn't know why should you be bothered by local off things. If you don't wanna hear no sound, then pull the Vol slider all the way down... cheap, no fake, it still sends MIDI messages. I don't know Yamaha, but I think it similiar... right ?
:cool:

Thanks for the advice James Argo. I'm gonna give x5d a look.

And I also found out that local off doesn't matter. Thanks for this tip.

Back