Hooking up Audio buddy to computer!! HELP

SEREOUS

Hey their I recently bought a M-Audio AUDIO BUDDY pre amp/audio interface. I have it hooked to my condenser mic so it recieves phantom power. Can anyone tell me how to hook it up to my COMPUTER directly, with NO mixer. I have a cord that plugs in two the audio buddy with 2- 1/4" plugs, then it has the one stereo 3.5mm to plug in to the MIC jack in the back of my computer

MY problem is When i do the hardware testing it does not pick it up. Neither when i use my recording program (cool edit pro 2.0) does it record. Its just all silence. IS their a certain setting I have to set this too, so it will read ? If someone has AUDIO BUDDY - or knows how to use it can u please help me.

Im so irritated with this PLEASE lol steve

The 'mic' jack on your stock soundcard has a rudimentary preamp built in. Sending one preamp into another is not smart until you know a little more about what you're doing.

Try plugging the 3.5mm plug into the 'line' input and see if that helps. It's more electronically correct, but won't necessarily get you the results you are seeking.

Just out of curiousity, what made you choose the Audio Buddy over a sound card?

Like ssscientist said, you should plug into your computer's "line in" jack, not the "mic in." From there it's a matter of setting up your software correctly, nothing to do with the audio buddy.

Just to be sure, are you seeing the input level in the Audio Buddy? Are you sure you have the phantom power turned on?

Then all you have to do is select your computer soundcard's "line in" as the inputs on your track in Cool Edit. I've never used Cool Edit, so I don't know anything about how it's layed out or how you set things up. But you need to make sure that is recognizes your soundcard's inputs/outputs, and then select the proper one on your track.

Also, the Audio Buddy doesn't have full 48V phantom power. If your condesor mic needs a full 48V then it may not work well, or at all.

I use the Audio Buddy with an M-audio 2496 sound card. My mics go into the XLR input (one for each channel) and the two outputs (1/4" ) go to the two RCA inputs on the 2496. The 2496 outputs are then connected via RCA plugs to my KRK Rokit 5 minitors. The Audio Buddy does have 48V phantom power for condensor mics, but you do have to turn it on. If you have a more general PC sound card you might have to combine both channels into a single 1/8" stereo input to the line-in plug on the card. The recording software should allow you to select the proper card to use, especially if you have integrated audio on your MB.

CocoboloCedar said:
If you have a more general PC sound card you might have to combine both channels into a single 1/8" stereo input to the line-in plug on the card.

That's what he's doing.

I just read the user manual for the audio buddy online, which didn't say how many volts the phantom power supplies (it just mentions Phantom Power) which makes me think it's not 48VDC, because if it were, they'd probably say so. The power supply for the unit is 9VAC. However it should still work okay.
You may not get full power, but they wouldn't have made the thing incompatible with condenser mics.

CocoboloCedar said:
The Audio Buddy does have 48V phantom power for condensor mics, but you do have to turn it on.

Yes, it has a phantom power button (I have an Audio Buddy too) but it is not true 48V phantom power.

Thank YOu

Thank you all for your replies, It helped alot. The thing is my computer does have a additional soundcard built in. Real Tek AC97 audio. The Audio buddy has enough power to power my mic, i used it in the store before i bought it to make sure. Seems that i need to select the " line in" selection on my computer, when i go through my soft ware. I was trying to figure that out. One more question is some of you say to not plug the cord from the audio buddy in to the mic jack, but to plug it somewhere else . .. where i have a bunch of colored jacks in the back.

SEREOUS said:
Thank you all for your replies, It helped alot. The thing is my computer does have a additional soundcard built in. Real Tek AC97 audio. The Audio buddy has enough power to power my mic, i used it in the store before i bought it to make sure. Seems that i need to select the " line in" selection on my computer, when i go through my soft ware. I was trying to figure that out. One more question is some of you say to not plug the cord from the audio buddy in to the mic jack, but to plug it somewhere else . .. where i have a bunch of colored jacks in the back.

Glad you're figuring things out. One of those colored jacks in the back should be a "line in" input. Without getting into too much detail, you'll be better off using that than the "mic in" jack. Just look for it on your built in audio jacks on the soundcard

I WAS ABLE TO PLUG IN TO WHAT I THOUGHT WAS THE "LINE IN"
Now the problem i had was setting my software (cool edit pro 2.0) so it will read from the mic. How do i get it to read from "line in" or where do i select this setting. Also Shouldnt i be able to go to control panel - and do the sounds hardware testing? ? When i do it is dead silent- doesnt even show no noise at all and mic and pre amp is on.

SEREOUS said:
How do i get it to read from "line in" or where do i select this setting.

Windows Mixer->Properties->Recording radio button->Ok.

Then make sure the Select Checkbox for the Line-in is selected.

SEREOUS said:
I WAS ABLE TO PLUG IN TO WHAT I THOUGHT WAS THE "LINE IN"
Now the problem i had was setting my software (cool edit pro 2.0) so it will read from the mic. How do i get it to read from "line in" or where do i select this setting. Also Shouldnt i be able to go to control panel - and do the sounds hardware testing? ? When i do it is dead silent- doesnt even show no noise at all and mic and pre amp is on.

Like I said before, I've never used Cool Edit, but when you go to set the input on a track, what are the options it gives you? It should give you all the inputs your sound card has to offer. They may be called something like Real Tek 1/2, 3/4 etc. You just need to figure out which one corresponds to the Line In.

If you want to test your windows system, open up the volume control in the system tray. Go to Options -> Properties -> Adjust playback for "Recording"->check "Line In"->click "Ok" then select "line In" and turn the volume up.

You can also get there through Control Panel -> Sound, Speech & Audio Devices ->Sound & Audio Devices

Back