Hooking up a Mixer

You would need an audio interface, which would preclude the need to have a mixer.

What are you trying to do?

just trying record....the mics require a pre amp and that mixer has pre amps built in so i thought it would be good idea.

You connect one of these Link between your mixer and computer.

Very basic but very cheap, but for simple recording it is fine.

Cheers

Alan.

You can buy interfaces that have mic pres built in, do all your mixing in the computer.

Check these out, scroll down to about the $80 range.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

What Chile said.

I have 5 assorted mixers. (Don't ask; I have no self control.) And I don't use one of them for recording. It's an extra (and unneeded) step in the signal chain. The preamps on cheap mixers are usually just so-so, and you're still gonna need an interface to get the sound from the mixer into the computer.

So I'd say skip the mixer and get an interface with decent preamps. I started out going mics > interface > computer. Worked like a charm. I've since bought various outboard preamps (again, better than what's in my mixers) so now I go mics > preamps > interface > computer.

The mixers are all for live gigs, or jamming in the practice room.

So if i buy a mixer (Behringer EURORACK UB1202 Mixer) how would i hook it up to my computer to record?

Sorry I did not read properly I thought you said you had a UB1202, if you only need a couple of inputs at a time forget the mixer and buy the interface.

However if you want to use the mixer for other things, ie on a PA, buy the mixer and the UCA202, Behringer throw in a UCA for free with some mixers.

Cheers

Alan.

So if i buy a mixer (Behringer EURORACK UB1202 Mixer) how would i hook it up to my computer to record?

If you can be satisfied with only recording 2 tracks at a time, you could cobble together a few cables and run it into the "line in" on your computer sound card.

Do you already own the Behringer mixer? If not, you have other options in that range...

If you already have it, you could get this... http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--HOSCMR2
Run a mic into channel 1 on the mixer, and another mic into channel 2- pan one hard left and the other hard right. Connect that cable to the l/r rca outputs on the mixer and connect the 1/8" end to your line in on your soundcard. In your recording softward, for your first track select the left input as the record source and on the second track select the right. That will get you two separate tracks that you can mix to taste.

That's kind the "beginner, work with what you got method". Probably get you buy if you just want to record like a voice and an acoustic guitar or something.

I think you'll have trouble getting (4) separate tracks out of that mixer and into your computer- it doesnt look like that mixer has "inserts" on each track. Thats kinda the "poor mans" way to get a direct output from each mic channel (1/4" cable- half click in).

There are better options out there. But, it really depends on what exactly you want to record and what you already have and how much $ you want to spend. Share some more info, and I think you'll get some good advise here...

Alright, I am recording mainly acoustic tracks (ac guitar, vocals, cajon drum, maybe a bass guitar, and electric guitar). Will only need to use 2 - 3 mics at once.

The reason I was going to purchase the mixer was because I was going to not only use it in the studio, but for live performance. But if my recording would do better without the mixer and instead just use interfaces, than i guess i can just do that.

So why does just about every semi pro studio have a huge mixer board if you can just mix everything in the computer?

What may not be clear is that your computer expects its sound in digital form so you need an analogue to digital converter between the analogue output of your mixer and the input for your computer. (A/D) (Your computer sound card is one of these but it gives a very limited input normally.)

So I suggest you look at mixers with a USB output built into them. In these, the A/D is done for you so you get your mixer and your input for your computer in one box.

You were looking at a UB 1202, this is now discontinued. (so will be at a good price) But in order to satisfy your need for both computer recording and live performance, you could look at the newer ranges of mixer with a USB output, for example a Behringer Xenyx 2442 FX. (or something similar) This will give you a live performance mixer with the all important USB output to your computer.

So why does just about every semi pro studio have a huge mixer board if you can just mix everything in the computer?

That's a good question. Ego??? :confused: :confused:

I use a Phonic mixer with built-in converters and firewire interface. The signals get split off right after teh trim knob and go to the converters then to the computer. This is important, because you want just the raw signal going into your computer. You don't want it going through the mixer's EQ or effects. Use that stuff for monitoring while tracking. So, basically, the mixer is just an interface like WhiteStrat mentioned, but it could be used for live applications as well. The preamps are okay sounding, not great, but not bad either. Most of my tunes are recorded through the Phonic.

Once the audio is iin the computer, I use Cubase to do all the mixing, processing, etc.... nothing gets mixed on an outboard mixer.

Alright, I am recording mainly acoustic tracks (ac guitar, vocals, cajon drum, maybe a bass guitar, and electric guitar). Will only need to use 2 - 3 mics at once.

The reason I was going to purchase the mixer was because I was going to not only use it in the studio, but for live performance. But if my recording would do better without the mixer and instead just use interfaces, than i guess i can just do that.

*most* of those mixers are much much nicer and have many more features than a small format desktop mixer. For one, they probably have very nice preamps. For two, they'll usually have a direct out for each mic channel so they can route each channel to separate track (a feature that MOST small format mixers lack). Some will use the mixer as a summing buss as well- i.e. route each recording track individually back to a mixer channel, then record the mixers stereo output for a final mix.

If you want a mixer, look for one that has direct outs for each mic channel (my Soundcraft M8 has these, but that'll run you about $700). As an alternative, look for a mixer that has "inserts" for each mic channel- you can click a 1/4" cable in half way to get a signal from each preamp that you can record independently. Using a mixer is nice if you want to use it as part of your PA too.

If you go the mixer route, you'll also need a soundcard for your computer. Something like this will give you 4 channels of inputs. http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--THKMIMD442

A soundcard + a mixer or preamps is perfectly legit way to go. But, lately it seems like everyone opts for a firewire or usb "interface" that has everything in one package. Just seems easier.

So I suggest you look at mixers with a USB output built into them. In these, the A/D is done for you so you get your mixer and your input for your computer in one box.

Ahh, it looks like Terfyn posted at the same time I did and said the same thing.

Cheers,

Well Knightknife, you have a lot of choice. Jeff_D recommendation will give you a better route into your computer than a mixer. My suggestion will give you a freestanding mixer for live performance but a less flexible interface with your computer!!!!
You pays your money and takes your choice!

This is probably more than you want to spend to start out, but I'll tell you what my set up is...

Soundcraft M8 mixer- has 8 mic channels and 4 stereo line channels
--stereo bus goes to PA amp
--direct out from each channel goes to an input on a MAudio 1010lt card.
--to monitor, I have a stereo output from the 1010lt to one of the stereo channels on the M8.

The Soundcraft board has direct outs for each channel. There is also a button on each channel to make the direct outs "pre" or "post" fader. That means, I can set the gain for each mic. With the "pre fader" button on, I can use the fader to set the level for each channel going to the pa amp. So, when we practice, the first three channel on the Soundcraft are vocals- with the gain set, i send the signal to channels on the 1010lt. With the fader I set how much goes to the amp. The rest of the channels faders are at zero, so no guitars or drums are going through the PA, but they are going into the computer.

I think the Soundcraft has better routing options than just about anything else in that price range (has nice pre's too) :)
There is an M4 too for about $525- http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Soundcraft-M-Series-M4-12Channel-Mixer?sku=630915#used
That plus the Delta 44 gets you 4 tracks for $675... and thats probably why the interfaces are more popular. lol.

Thanks Guys! I will probably go with the usb interfaces for right now. Its cheaper and I can just mix the recordings on Logic express.

Back