hooking up a mixer to a Digi002, Please help me

skiscem

Well A friend Ask me to record his band at their practice space, his band is about 8 pieces and they play Christian pop/rock.

I own a Digi002, and of course i dont have anough tracks to record the whole band at the same time, so i decided that i will be using their mixer. its a 28 channel yamaha... that all i know, my plans are to send all mics trough the mixer and then to my 002...
but my question is... what is the best way, which output should i use from the mixer, and where to my 002.
i have been recording for a few months but only track by track, never a live band so i have no idea.
any other advices will be well received

thanks!

Just get some more tracks. Buy one of these for $229.00 ($200 or less on ebay)

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=20720&Category=Audio_Interfaces

and a lightpipe cable. It will go into the 002 by optical ADAT and come out as 8 separate tracks- There's 12. That leaves channels 5-8 for anything that is line level. and coaxial S/PDIF for 2 more, if it's already digital. By using all the available inputs, the 002 can do 18 tracks. The ADA8000 doesn't suck nearly as much as it shouild for what it costs. It does drum tracks just fine.-Richie

if you have the mics to do so... sub mix the drums. meaning using their mixer, mix the drums to a stereo aux (or 2 aux's) out on the mixer to a line in (or 2 if it is stereo) you dont need a mic pre for it, so just line level is fine. and that is usually the heap of mics. have vocalists share mics,

What equabile studios suggests is entirely workable. Drums are the big channel-eater, and they don't really need great preamps. I guess what we really need to know is- what is going onto those 12 tracks? I don't like having vocalists share mics, personally, because you can't control the balance, and you can't EQ them separately, and the same mic rarely makes both vocalists sound good. Aside from that, lead and backing vocals often benefit from different mics and FX/EQ treatment. Drums are different. You can sub-mix them, but you have to get the mix right going in, 'cause you can't change it later. So tell us where those 12 tracks are really coming from, and we can probably suggest alternatives.

None of that changes the fact that you've got 18 inputs in your DAW, but you don't have the preamps to utilize them. In the long run, you should have your 4 best outboard pres going into channels 5-8, 8 cheap tracks going in by ADAT, and 2 digital tracks going in by S/PDIF.

I use a Digi002 also. Tracks 1-4 are the onboard pres. Tracks 5-8 are an Avalon AD2022 and a Pendulum MDP-1. Channels 9-16 is a Behringer ADA8000 (no kidding) and 17-18 are a Joemeek twinQ by S/PDIF. 99% of all stuff goes through the Avalon or the Pendulum. Next is the Joemeek, then the onboard pres, and lastly, I use the ADA8000, when, like you, I just need a bunch of tracks, usually for drums. Of course, it could be done with a bunch of middle-level pres, such as a pair of M-Audio DMP-3's instead of an Avalon and a Pendulum, and the ADAT pre could be upgraded a bit, to say- an M-Audio Octane. The point is, whether you do it cheap, middle level, or wicked expensive, you've already got the channels, but you can't access them, because you don't have the preamps.-Richie

Back