Hooking up a midi capable keyboard

Koroshiya1

Hey everyone.

I'm brand new to this forum and fairly new to the home recording scene.

I am interested in hooking up my Roland EM-10 keyboard (which has "general MIDI" capabilities) to my computer so I can control some of the soft synth programs I have, such as NI Absynth. I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (is this a good card for recording?) with a midi input and an output. I also have a midi joystick port (what is this for?). Obviously, I have a midi cable aswell.

Hope this is enough info for your knowledgable brains to kindly answer my question!

Thanks in advance!

I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (is this a good card for recording?)
Not realy great for recording... but it'll be fine for MIDI job! And if you don't mind it's cons, then it's a good recording card for entry level... you'll know when to upgrade later :)

I also have a midi joystick port (what is this for?)
It's a port to connect your joystick, or MIDI kit cable. You'll need special MIDI kit to connect your MIDI gear to it.

;)
Jaymz

Thanks for the info!

Kinda sucks to hear about my soundcard, since I just bought it in hopes to record some decent sounding music. I'm not expecting major label, high-end quality stuff...but somewhere in the mid-range would be nice. Oh well.

Okay, so for my next question, what's the difference between MIDI inputs and outputs...and the joystick port?

Thanks again

oops! Sorry. I've already done that a couple of times...I won't do it again. I just wasn't sure which area was the right area to post on this subject.

Back