Hooking up a midi capable keyboard

Koroshiya1

Hey everyone.

I'm brand new to this forum and fairly new to the home recording scene.

I am interested in hooking up my Roland EM-10 keyboard (which has "general MIDI" capabilities) to my computer so I can control some of the soft synth programs I have, such as NI Absynth. I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (is this a good card for recording?) with a midi input and an output. I also have a midi joystick port (what is this for?). Obviously, I have a midi cable aswell.

Hope this is enough info for your knowledgable brains to kindly answer my question!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the suggestion! Come to think of it, I think I have one of those floating around somewhere.

So, is it just a matter of plugging all that in? Or would I have to enable some setting in the program?

if you want a nice cheap midi sequencer try the demo of powertracks at pgmusic.com. also does 48 tracks of audio as well.
the users forum at pg is a great place to interface with some very knowledgeable midi folks. ive found it very usefull in the past.
there are several midi features ive found usefull in powertracks in the past....
1. quickly lay down drum midi tracks using styles. there is drum pattern software built in.
2. extensive notation/editing features
3. the ability to tune up or down midi tracks for a whole different texture...
to name a few.

Back