Hook up my small studio question. Loop problem.

williamleo

Hi all!

Okay this has probably been asked and answered but I couldn't find just what I am looking for, so here goes.

I have a Behringer XENYX X1832USB 18-Channel Mixer with USB, a Boss BR 600, and the mixer sends main output to an Alesis power amp connected to Alesis monitor one studio monitors. I hook up my keyboard, bass, guitar, computer (for videos) and my microphones to the mixer and run 2 track out to line in on my Boss recorder. I have the line outs of the recorder going back in to the mixer on stereo track 12. It works but I get a bad hum recording if the recorder line outs are turned up, and not very far. I know I got the "loop" problem but I'm just not sure how to hook it up I guess. Any suggestions please?

First off, excellent reference in your location.

- Can you describe the hum?
- What cables are you using? Are you sure they are shielded?
- Why do you bring the recorder out to channel 11/12 on the mixer and not back to the 2-Track In? Try it that way, then what happens if you turn off 2-track to Main?

A low toned hum that just explodes when turned up a little. Cables are shielded. Gonna go try going into 2 track in. Thank you!

I plugged the main outs into 2 track in. It works but then I can only EQ with the sliders and the effects can't be applied. That's why I ran the recorder into a channel. And when I try to get a signal to the mixer to record, the only way is to turn 2 track in... off and then I can't hear what's already recorded. Make any sense? Sorry, not a newbie to recording but don't know this current rig.

What you're getting is 'electronic' feedback (oscillation) from the loop you have going from the tape outs of the mixer to the BR600 and back to the mixer.

And when I try to get a signal to the mixer to record, the only way is to turn 2 track in... off and then I can't hear what's already recorded.
If you're trying to hear what's already recorded can you turn the 2 track in to off and monitor with headphones from the BR600?
I'm kind of not clear exactly what you are doing sending the recorder back to the mixer, unless just to hear the mix.

Yep. To hear the feed while I'm laying down another track digitally. No open mics. I was messing around with it and while trying to troubleshoot... I wrote a really cool song! Behind every dark cloud they say. Well, I'll keep messing around and see what happens. I really appreciate your help! If you don't mind helping I'll post what I'm discovering and see what you think. I have the whole computer USB into DAW but I'm kinda old school and I just missed my old Soundcraft Spirit 24x24 board into my ADAT days. That was big doings in a small town back in the day but I just love a hands on approach. That board had dedicated sends and returns so it was easy to record and then monitor back, and overdub and etc. Thanks again!

I still don't quite understand you overall intention, especially when you say you want to add EQ and effects to the output of the BR. Seems to me that's after the recording. Is it possible to plug your headphones and/or monitors directly into the BR and listen to the playback that way?

Personally, I think you should just bypass the mixer altogether. But again, I don't fully understand why you're using it.

Yep, that's my plan now. Just plug instruments or mics straight in to the BR600 since it has built in bass and guitar sims. Plug keyboard workstation straight in to line in jacks since any affects can be added to that right on board. Main out to mixer for monitoring through the Alesis amp & speakers.

Thank you for helping! Just talking to you guys made me think and try different things!

Awesome. Glad a little conversation could help. But, you know, it's just the beginning...

Soon, you'll be like, Hey, how do I?...
then, Why doesn't this sound right?
Then, next thing you know, you spent half a ton o money and have a full fledge studio in the basement. :D

Ha Ha! Yep! You're so right! Now how about this... Wife says to buy the Tascam 32 sd. Says right now. (she's a singer/keyboard/bass player). Is that wise?

If you ask me, which I think you are, I recommend switching to computer based recording. I HATE standalone units. If you're looking at investing $500 in a standalone, you might find you can do better by buying an interface and recording on your computer. I had a few standalones a long time ago and was always frustrated with the difficulty in editing or setting up channels or making tweaks. I didn't like being limited to onboard effects or processors and I didn't like proprietary files that were a hassle to transfer to a PC.

With computer based recording, you can see everything in one screen. You can upgrade and/or expand easily. It's far more intuitive and flexible to edit, change, tweak or do just about anything. You can use 3rd party plug and virtual instruments and you are not limited to whatever they give you in a standalone.

Do a little browsing and searching through the forums. THis topic comes up pretty often and the general consensus is always the same.

BUT, if you're not into computer based recording, and that's cool, then I say, YES, keep the wife happy and buy her whatever she wants. :D That's marital advice, not recording advice. :)

:thumbs up: Best of both worlds.

Well I got the Zoom R24 and its been about a month so here's where I'm at. Behringer x1832 Mixer sends output to the Zoom through the inserts to channels 1-6. Then Sub 1 & 2, to channels 7 & 8 for stereo keys, Guitar processing or any other stereo gear. Zoom is my control surface for my DAW, Reaper. Even running an older Win XP computer, latency is under 10 ms and everything works perfect! I'm on my biggest project ever, 19 tracks so far! LOL. Cool thing is I can control 24 recorded channels from the Zoom with the track bank buttons. After You set levels in a bank and switch to another, The Zoom saves all the slider data. Weird at first but nice after I figured it out. For monitoring I use my Alesis Monitor ones with a 100 watt stereo Alesis studio power amp coming out of the Zoom. Everything works great and I do have the best of both worlds!

Cool. Glad to hear you're up and running. Be sure to post up some music for us to listen to. If you need feedback or comments on your music, be sure to put it in the MP3 Clinic.

Not sure why you still use the behringer; it is redundant and maybe inferior quality.... but if it works for you, then cool.

Oh, George... not the livestock.

Not sure why you still use the behringer; it is redundant and maybe inferior quality.... but if it works for you, then cool.

Quality is surprisingly better than I'd hoped actually. Dead quiet and I'm really just using it as an interface between vocals, instruments and processing. Right to it... I don't like plugging and unplugging from the Zoom because the connections are so tight I'm afraid a cord will come apart at the end and be stuck in the Zoom. Crazy design there! I just use a decent 8 channel mono 1/4" 6 foot snake and leave it hooked up. I know I need a better setup but hey? This has got me into the "box" for good so it works for me.

I really do love Reaper! Great sounding and tons of great plug ins. The Mt Power drums are awesome! Finally... a drum machine I actually use and love! Reaper has changed my life and I certainly have you all to credit! In the box finally makes sense to me. I do record my project first on my Zoom, add very little processing there, but then I load it all into Reaper and away I go! Having more fun now than I have since the ole ADAT days! Ha Ha! Anyone want to buy a gently used Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24x24 board? No need now as I've definitely made the change to this new way of recording. Finally inspired to make great stuff again! :thumbs up:

Right to it... I don't like plugging and unplugging from the Zoom because the connections are so tight I'm afraid a cord will come apart at the end and be stuck in the Zoom. Crazy design there! I just use a decent 8 channel mono 1/4" 6 foot snake and leave it hooked up. I know I need a better setup but hey? This has got me into the "box" for good so it works for me.
I found this with my R24 and it seemed some plugs were worse than others, so I took a close look at the ones that had problems. In the image below take note of the backside edge of the tip. The more rounded ones remove easier from the R24. The #2 plug I think were some I got from eBay and they are OK in most gear I've got, but doesn't like the Zoom jacks for whatever reason. I had seen some threads in a Zoom forum that the tip of a plug had actually come of in the jack. The jacks do seem to loosen up with some use.

Attachments

• plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 6
Back